Which Motherboard Would You Recommend?

Thanks for your advice.

I'll probably be paying somewhere around 180 to 220 for a Mobo. As for HD, I'll probably pay 200 for a 300GB HD. :P I was wondering if there are any other suggestions in terms of which Mobo would be a good pick?

K, will do Ste.

Edited by UkJenT

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends what you want to do, a Good overclocking one would be the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum ( I think). But if you just want a solid reliable one not for overclockling, look at the brand of Gigabyte, I have one in my sig.

To match the performance of an AMD FX-55 at stock speeds an Intel Prescott processor would have to be overclocked to over 5 Ghz... Have fun doing that! Once you've pushed the limit the FX-55 can be overclocked to over 3.0Ghz and the prescott has no chance

Edited by Goran

LGA775 and AGP is a flaky setup. You're better off to stay with a PGA478 motherboard.

The P5AD2 is not a bad board by any means, but I have seen quirks with some of its addon features, such as the ITE 8212F IDE RAID controller. I would avoid using that at all costs. Other then that, its decent. If you don't want to spend the $$ on that, try the P5GD1 series. I have had better luck with those.

The only boards with 775/AGP that I have seen are i865PE based. Those would be the Gigabyte 8IPE775-G and the Asus P5P800.

You said you wanted and agp video card but that mobo doesn't support agp. it uses pci-e which will be much faster than agp in the future, but not right now. AGP and pci-e are about equal right now. However, pci-e cards are cheaper than agp. PCI-e is the future..although I do not have it :(

that is one expensive motherboard. I would consider spending a little less for the motherboard and invest in a really good videocard and some good ram. Good ram would be Corsair. Be ready to spend alot though for their memory. Since you want to do harcore gaming and some video editing or whatnot. you really don't need all those mobo features tbh. I bought an asus p4c800-e deluxe and I don't even use those unecessary features that the mobo comes with. I suggest something cheaper. Asus is very good however. No problems with them whatsoever. I have one asus AMD 64 setup and one Asus Intel P4 setup. really stable.

Also, consider zipzoomfly.com, almost free 2nd day shipping on everything which makes them a little cheaper than newegg.com. I bet you could buy that same mobo you chose from newegg for less on zipzoomfly.com with that free shipping.

Newegg is starting to become a nuissance because of those ridiculous shipping costs.