Soldered Drive Cage

It's steel, the one you can get a mnptech or is it nmptech lol

anyways i just wanted to share the fact that you can solder a piece of mesh to a piece of steel, i didn't think it was possible :lol:

I'll get it off and show you the inside ;)

Edit: here's a pic of the solder points

Cage.jpg

413655[/snapback]

Nice soldering job. I bet if you think about it you'll find a few more places to use that mesh.

ravix it's just a kodak easy share DX-4330 it has macro function, that's why i bought it lol well aside that it was also cheap :P

Also i do think it's there to stay, of course if you whack on ot with a screwdriver or something it'll come off but for regular use i bet it'll stay for as long as i want it there :)

And wrath maybe you didn't let the iron long enough on the metal so it wasn't hot enough to stick the led, you have to heat both pieces of metal to a certain temp. You did like a cold solder on wires when you melt the led and the wires arent hot, you pull on them and they separate easy> cold solder :P

Come to think of it you can probably do that with a blow torch, clamp both pieces and heat them till hot and add the led :P

I'll try that and come back to you guys lol

Edited by kobalt

Well i've tried it with two pieces of metal and the blow torch andit seems like the led dont want to accept the other piece, it sticks to one but shrugs off the other like if it was mercury.

I dont get it since it holds with my drive cage :unsure:

Maybe it has something to do with the thickness or the prep. of the metal <_<

Well i've tried it with two pieces of metal and the blow torch andit seems like the led dont want to accept the other piece, it sticks to one but shrugs off the other like if it was mercury.

I dont get it since it holds with my drive cage :unsure:

Maybe it has something to do with the thickness or the prep. of the metal <_<

414747[/snapback]

You did'nt mention it so I have to ask the question... did you use any flux with the lead solder? When you soldered the original mesh I'm assuming you used regular solder which normally comes with a flux core. B)

You did'nt mention it so I have to ask the question... did you use any flux with the lead solder?  When you soldered the original mesh I'm assuming you used regular  solder which normally comes with a flux core. B)

414804[/snapback]

Good point, you're right i use thin solder, i think it has a bit of flux in it but i've never checked it.

With the blow torch i used a diffrent solder it has flux in it, maybe too much, i know when you try to solder a wire and you have to desolder and re do it again the wire is more difficult to do cause of the flux coating the wire.

So maybe my thin solder has no or very little flux :unsure:

I'll have to check that out :rolleyes: