Maxtor 160GB SATA

Sony 1.44MB Floppy

NEC ND-3500a 16X DL DVD+/-RW

for 909 from newegg

Options are not necessarily related

Option 1: are either Save money on RAM and get 1GB Corsair Value RAM at 2.5 cas

Option 2: Add GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB for $200

Options 3: Add Nvidia 6800GT for around $400

How badly will the value RAM affect system performance, he's not into overclocking.

thanks,

The 5950 Ultra is mine that I'd sell used to keep his costs down. Thanks for your opinion though, I agree he should get the GT if he can squeeze out the dough.

Still wondering about the RAM, cost vs performance for a non-overclocker

Well in my opinion i think he should go with option one and 3 save money on ram and get a a 6800GT, i dont think he is going to notice too much the difference of ram... well this is my opinion

Then again, if your friend is a hard core gamer, then yes, go with the GT. But if he just plays games every so often like SimCity 4, or the Sims 2, Red Alert 2, UT2k3 & 2k4, the 5950 will do just fine. Although, considering some places still sell the 5950 Ultra for $400+, I'd still go with the GT, that's me though.

I would suggest sticking with the 512 RAM and getting either the 6800GT, or if you are concerned about price, get a 9800 pro instead of the FX. I got an FX 5700 Ultra instead of the 9600XT thinking that the raw clock speed would be better. I should have gotten the 9600 XT.

That looks like a good system to me. You may want to check zipzoomfly to see if the shipping is any cheaper. Newegg seems to really be raising their prices, but they have more stuff. I got my mobo and cpu from zipzoomfly, it was cheaper than newegg by a few dollars, and the shipping was free.

6600gt is about that best Price/cost card out there. they can be had for under 200USD and are way better then a 9800xt Otherwise my only concern is "Is that PSU a truepower? or Maxpower rated?" if its true you should be ok, otherwise I'd look into getting a truepower.... What are you planing to spend on PSU? 100 will get you a OCZ Powerstream which are excelent Supplys