Calling All Photo-shop Pros

Silverfox

i never used color dodge i dont think <_< heh..ok here are the things i did..tok the image duplicated the layer three times set them to overlay..layer 1 copy set to 75% opacity layer 1 copy 2 set to 50% opacity layer 1 copy 3 set to 25% opacity...merged the three copies(ctrl+e) used the anchor point to select the eye area in the copy layer(now just layer 1 copy) deleted them..le[ts selection created new layer colored them in blue set that layer as a Hue...then i erased the nose area to keep the correct color...the wiskers i carefully used 35px slightly blured brush and went over them in a new layer set to overlay...i left a few thing sout probablly but thats what i can remember..i ahve the psd if u want it just ask.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i added a lot of contrast using cruves with a pretty drastic s-cruve. i then drew selections around the eye's and nose. then using the color replacement tool i changed the color in each to a pretty basic. then using the saturation dialog i changed the lightness to about -30. I couldn't get the left and right eye to match so the left is actually a cone of the right. I went over the wiskers with the dodge tool to bring out more white in them.

billie5ev1.jpg

i then duplcated the main layer applayed a gaussian blur of about 10 px changed the blending mode to overlay and the opacity to about 50%

billie5ev2.jpg

personally i think it looks best without the nose in blue

billie5ev3.jpg

edit*messed up the link paths...they should be good now.

I'm also very impressed with what you guys have come up with.

As I said to fox, I don't want to use your work as that would feel

like stealing it, but the instructions you have given have been very

helpful.

I think that what I am going to try and do is have the cat really light

and the background really dark.

I have used an elongated S shape for the levels and lots of dodging

on the wiskers.

This is by no means finished, I still need to make the background

dark, work on the eyes and touch up the errors on the wiskers and

add a blue glow effect to the wiskers as there is already a faint tint

of blue in the original photo.

But this is where I am at so far:

snowcat35vy.jpg

yeah im a graphic designer but i dont care if you want to use mine..it gave me somethign to do after work..heh when im most bored...but hopefully u get what you want

edit: 450th post w00t!!!!!!!!!! 4 stars

"i feel the majority of the work was done by the person who took the picture"

I agree with you 100%, I am a terrible designer, most of my work is flash based, so when some asked me to do graphics design work, I feel that the only way I could do it was to get some excellent help which is what you guys have done and SilverFox who took the picture has done. He will be credited for his photography in the magazine, don't worry, I am not going to take credit for his great work.

hardnrg, thanks very much for taking the time to submit something. I like the second one very much.

hardnrg, thanks very much for taking the time to submit something. I like the second one very much.

cool, no worries... er, if it needs a little adjusting or whatever just give me a shout and i'll see what i can come up with :)

With the whiskers I can only think of two things that might work.

1) Mask off parts of the whiskers untill it looks like they aren't blurring togething and then

sharpen the image (not necessarily using the 'sharpen' tool). After that apply the

effects that you want.

2) Replace the whiskers from ones from a different photo. This would be harder to

to manage especially in regards to the size of the photo. You'd also have to blend the

new whiskers into the photo to make them look natural. Then apply the effects you

want.

As far as making it darker in the background I set a layer on top of all the rest which I filled in with black and set to vivid light. I then subtracted some of the things I wanted to stand out like the eyes and whiskers. This may not work for you depending on how you set up your layers though as I had some other stuff in there as well. Best of luck, and I'm sure the other forum goers will be happy to supply you with tips as well :).