It Fits!

I was able to put a rev.3 VGA Silencer on my AIW 9800PRO. I had ordered it but was worried it might not fit. The heatsink does touch the tuner, but it doesn't affect it.

I took out that fan I had under the video card, it's nice not to hear that thing anymore. My case isn't any hotter from taking it out, either. :) The VGA silencer really does do a nice job cooling the card down. I don't have a temperature probe to check the temperature, it must be cooler though, probably by 10c or better. It's also very quiet on either speed. I can't even hear it over any of my other fans.

I will have a pic of it up later, it looks cool in my case. :) Just wanted to give the AIW-guys a heads-up that rev.3 does indeed fit.

You must have already had a fan blowing at the card then. Either that, or there was not good contact with the GPU core. My silencer had a nice, shiny base on it, but there were some machining marks on it. I am extremely pleased with it, this is what ATI needs to put on from the factory.

I guess not everyone has the same luck with them. Sorry you had a bad experience with it. Since my card is so hot, the fan is always left on high. I can't tell a difference in thr two speeds.

I've noticed that the vga silencers are actual worse than stock at their low setting. The only tiem I've ever seen artifacts from my card was when I had the silencer or 'low'. On high, it works like a dream. I've overclocked my core from 400mhz to 525mhz. :)

i have a rev 5 on my 6800gt and its very good indeed! much better than the titchy stock thing you get on the 6800gt ref card. The only downer i would have about it is the sheer size of it! in some cases it can foul the ram slots as it sticks out alot! but the performance is brilliant.

this is what ATI needs to put on from the factory.

They already have that. My HIS Radeon 9800 pro ICEQ comes with a VGA silencer stock. Great card, great heatsink, I highly recommend HIS and Arctic silencers.