Serious Problems With My P4 1.6 Ghz

ogwaffle2

Getting a new mobo and processor WILL NOT solve the problem you are having since it is virus related and not hardware related. Get AVG antivirus and get rid of that DSO exploit, then get HijackThis! and remove the registry entry that will make it come up when you reboot.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i notice lil skips when my temps get too hot - make sure your graphix card - (the 5200 runs pretty hot - put ram heatsinks on it) make sure your chipset has enough cooling - if its just a heatsink without a fan then get a chipset heatsink with a fan! - make sure your case has enough airflow

about the DSO Exploit - that COMES WITH WINDOWS!!! sadly enough - try it - install a fresh install of xp - and then nothing else but spybot search & destroy - the first thing it finds is that dso exploit - and everytime you reboot - you will get it right back - its "part of windows"

as for your 13% of system being used - the slower your processor the more % is going to be used - on a P3 800 with windows xp just "sitting there" anywhere from 8% to 24% of the processor is being used - i had xp on a 233mhz pentium and it always ran 48% - on my p4 2.6HT it bounces upto 7% but usually stays around 1-2% try a good defrag and make sure you dont have a bunch of "scheduled tasks" that are running for nothing - make sure you dont have unecessary "auto" tasks waiting to run IE- screensavers

Im glad I can help. Well I think I can. I had the same problem you did. Seems to me its your video card. I had that same exact vid card and it did the samething to me. Heres a link to the lastest nvidia drivers try reinstalling them and check it out. This worked for me for a few days then it went back to the samething. If this doesnt fix it try getting a new vid card :-D. I got a gf4 ti 4800 now. But im in the process of building a new comp but my 6800 GT should be arriving soon. still getting more info from you guys for my other parts.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77

Ok, i cleared both my hard drives and reinstalled windows.. still, it says 13% cpu usage and im getting that skip every 2 seconds. I have a new theory on why its doing this cause i now know its not a software issue. Maybe 1 gig of ram is too much for my pretty dated mobo/processor.

i dont think its your cpu, mobo maybe but i would guess ram or vid ram, oh you daid 1 g of ram ? I hope its not 133, with a older 1.6 its possible you may have sd and not ddr , if this being the case......stupid question xp right?? if its millinium or 98 than its os/ram but if xp I would say bad ram, intel board I hope you do not mean asrock, but 1.6"s rock best processor I ever had, like em a lot, still take one over any amd ,and I do not care what anyone says , as I been there done that .. sorry short attention span

I doubt it's something to do with bad hardware. I have a P4 1.6ghz and I have never had any such problems. Also have a FX5200, Dell OEM (Wonderful card - not) and it doesn't have any skipping problems either. I think it's software...How do you reformat your drive? Because virus's easily survive High level formats (Windows XP startup disk).