Memory FAQ

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Memory.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How do I set up dual channel?

A: This can very by your mobo, so check your mobo's manual for specification, but it is usually Dimms 1 & 3. Also, your Dimm slots are sometimes color coded for which is dual and single channel.

Q. How much memory do I need for Windows XP

A. Microsoft recommends at least 256mb. But, 512mb will make you're life alot easier. If your a big gamer or into photo/video editing 1Gb or more will only help you out.

Edited by sdy284

Q: What size swap file do you use? Regardless of what MS says it should be, what are your standard ranges?

A: I prefer to not do too much math. I generally just double the amount of physical ram, and set the min and max to that size.

Q: Do you have a different setting for Linux?

A: I usually let the OS installer set the swapfile size for me. On Linux, I don't do enough work with memory-intensive apps that would tax the system bad enough to use more than the allocated amount (at least I haven't yet).

• 1 month later...

Q: What's a good amount of RAM for such and such?

A: Here's a general something:

Moderate home usage: 512 megs

Home usage and gaming: 512 is ok, 768 will help out

Photoediting and video encoding: 1/0(gigs/megs) for minor projects. 1/768 for more moderate things.

Loads of photo editing and video editing, among heavy gaming: 2/512 to 3/0 will do you well.

Q: How much for pagefile?

A: Rule of thumb is usually Pagefile = RAM * 2.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q: What are Ram timings and how are they read?

A: There usually read in five numbers like 2.5-3-3-6 @T1 each number means somthing different usually lower your timings are the faster your ram is but lowering your timings to much can cause your system to be unstable.

The 2.5 is the Cas#Latency- After a row is activited the amount of delay before an active row can be read is the Cas#Latency

Cas stands for column adress strobe singal: The latency (delay), in clock cycles between the assertion of the cas singal and the availability of vaild data on the DQ pins

The second 3 stands for Ras to Cas Delay- When a row is activated there is a delay before the data from the row can be read which is called Ras to Cas Delay

The third 3 stands for Ras#precharge- Amount of delay to de-actitive a row

The 6 is the cycle time (tras)- A minimum amount of time before a active column can be deactivated.

Once a bank is activated it can not be de-activated untill tras has elapsed

Command rate is the delay (in clock cycles) between when chip select is asserted and command can be issued to the ram

Usually there are 2 settings T1 (one clock cycle) T2 (two clock cycles)

Q: How do I find out what my ram timings are?

A: There are many different programs that can do this but I like cpu-z and everest (which know you have to pay for) but there are others.

Q: Whats the differance between DDR and SDR ram?

A: Hears a few terms

DDR- stands for double data rate

SDR- singal data rate

DDR Transfers information at the rise and the fall of the clock cycle. SDR can only transfor information at the rise of the clock cycle so DDR or DDR2 or DDR3 is better the SDR.

Q: 250mhz ddr500 pc4000 what do all these numbers mean?

A: The 250mhz is the number of clock cycles the ram runs at.

The DDR500 is the doubled rate since DDR uses both the rising and falling of the clock cycle so instead of running at 250 its doubled to 500 or sometimes called effective clock speed.

The pc4000 is how much information is sent in a second which in this case would be 4.0gb.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, JV here, I am new to overclocking and I am new to this forum. I have never overclocked before, so please excuse my ignorance. I want to begin by overclocking my RAM. First of all, I have an Asus P5L-MX mobo, Intel E6400 Core 2 2.13Ghz processor and I am using Kingston 2 x 1Ghz 800Mhz matched RAM kit. What should I do, in the BIOS to rock it up???

Regards JV

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, i have been reading around the post but im still confused on the subject of choosing the right memory for the right CPU. if i were to have a Q6600 which im planning to overclock to 3.0 Ghz(9x333FSB) or more.What is the clock speed of the ram that i should choose for DDR2 n DDR3?

Regards

corleone

ahh, if thats the case, with CPU running at 3ghz( 9x333),if i were to buy a DDR-2 800 4-4-4-4-12, would i benefit by setting the ratio to 1:1 and then go on to tighten the timing of the ram or setting a higher ratio?

i know these are supposed to be the basics or OC but im still learning the ropes.

Regards,

Corleone