Memory FAQ

my RAM labeled DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5V however in the bios even all are set to AUTO is shows 9-9-9-28 also in cpu-z is shows 9-9-9-28

all stock i7 2600k 3.4Ghz g.skill ripsaw 8GB kit sabertooth p67 mobo 750W evo blue PSU

Q. what is/are the effects having cpu-z and bios reads the cycle time different from what it is labeled?

A.

Q. Does this cycle time affects the cpu temp gradually? if there's any thread regarding cpu temp kindly provide it here...

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody help me? i have an i7 950 and want to buy 12 gb (6x2) of 1333 mhtz ram. the motherboard is only stated as running at 1.5 volt max for ram. the new ram is rated at 1.65v, will this hurt my cpu? my motherboard is a gigabyte ga-x58-usb3.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to create a new thread or post here, so I figured here, and I have a few questions.  I am more on the casual side of PC gaming and don't really have a need for overclocking, plus I don't want to lower the life expectancy of my hardware, heh.  Anyways, I built my rig about 3 years ago.  No major problems, though it has begun to slow with certain applications.  I don't see myself building another rig for at least another couple years.  I was looking to up my current amount of RAM from 4 GB to at least 8 GB.

Here are my current mobo and RAM:

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

With that said, would it be more prudent to just double what I have or make it somewhat future proof and go with 16GB? Will dual channel RAM remain a standard?

Because my mobo's max RAM is 16GB, I figured that those 16GB were meant to be spread over the 4 slots or can I utilize the max by only using 2 slots (3 & 4 respectively)?  Also, since my mobo can utilize 1333 from the getgo and 1866 would require overclocking, all that is required is to overclock the FSB separate from the CPU, and because there is no voltage increase and just a speed increase would this lead to any sort of degradation or would it be minimal?

This is the RAM I am thinking of upgrading to, provided dual channel remains the standard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615

So in the end would it be better to double what I have or go with the 16GB?

If my questions are confusing/unclear I apologize.  Also, if any other technical specs are required, please let me know.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Dan

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am looking to buy GSKILL 8 GB (4GBX2) DDR3 2400Mhz TRIDENT X (F3-2400C10D-8GTX) DESKTOP MEMORY RAM 

but i am confused to buy this product weather i will achieve the speed of 2400 Mhz speed

with my motherboard Intel DZ75ML-45K, if anyone have knowledge about this pls let me know. 

Thanks

Manu.

Edited by ricman16

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
There are two main types of memory failures: hard faults and soft faults.

First, hard fault: refers to loose memory, virtual solder or memory chip itself is damaged or unstable.

Two, soft fault: refers to the system in the running process, the software in the use of memory resources conflict or improper settings, and the resulting failure.