AMD vs. Intel

:foldon: This is extraodinarily late, but I built a p4 3.0 Ghz system on the 865 chipset in january cause i was an Intel fanboy, i completly bought into the Ghz Myth. three months later, i add a 6800GT, and still dont have the performance that i wanted, three months later, i build a a64 system, and dang, that integrated memory controller does wonders, i was freaking out about the 754 not supporting dual channel and 4 GB of mem, but now i got a 939 with pci E and dual channel. SMOKING. Bang for buck, AMD kicks the poo outa intel. both are respectable companies and procs for their particular jobs, but prebuilds SUCK no matter WHAT you do to them. (this is coming from a guy who bought a cheap E-machines back in the day and upgraded.) :foldon:

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:foldon: This is extraodinarily late, but I built a p4 3.0 Ghz system on the 865 chipset in january cause i was an Intel fanboy, i completly bought into the Ghz Myth.  three months later, i add a 6800GT, and still dont have the performance that i wanted, three months later, i build a a64 system, and dang, that integrated memory controller does wonders, i was freaking out about the 754 not supporting dual channel and 4 GB of mem, but now i got a 939 with pci E and dual channel.  SMOKING.  Bang for buck, AMD kicks the poo outa intel.  both are respectable companies and procs for their particular jobs, but prebuilds SUCK no matter WHAT you do to them.  (this is coming from a guy who bought a cheap E-machines back in the day and upgraded.)  :foldon:

547329[/snapback]

That pretty much sums it up I think lol :ph34r:

I heard back in the day that Intel stole a lot of technology from AMD

536222[/snapback]

Back in the day AMD was a subdivision of Intel. AMD has filtered through Intel's trash since the dawn of time, and proven exceedingly good at it.

So if anything, AMD stole from Intel...Back in the day that is.

Back in the day AMD was a subdivision of Intel. AMD has filtered through Intel's trash since the dawn of time, and proven exceedingly good at it.

So if anything, AMD stole from Intel...Back in the day that is.

547705[/snapback]

Yeah thats what Ive heard, but doesnt it go the other way around in a different way somehow

Both companies are respectable and very good at what they do. AMD is just like a cheaper version of Intel if you ask me cause i have seen the same if not better Intel technology the difference is the price. Something that costs 500$ for Intel is like 300$ for AMD. Both companies are very good at making chips. I own both so i cant really take sides.

the clock speed on an amd is not faster than intel, although with intel focusing on dual cores and amds fx-59 comming out soon the GHz game is getting closer. what makes amd better for gaming is that, for one amd cpu's do more than intels per clock cycle,and as well amd's have an integrated memory controller which speeds up significantly the memory. there are many other things i'm sure but those are a couple of the things

Edited by danyo64

the clock speed on an amd is not faster than intel, although with intel focusing on dual cores and amds fx-59 comming out soon the GHz game is getting closer. what makes amd better for gaming is that, for one amd cpu's do more than intels per clock cycle,and as well amd's have an integrated memory controller which speeds up significantly the memory. there are many other things i'm sure but those are a couple of the things

550137[/snapback]

Yea I was looking for a specific figure like intel does 4 operations per clock cycle and AMD does 5 but haven't found any....

-sheep