Photoshop Vs Fireworks

jammin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally ive used both and like use PS for my pictures and fireworks for most anythgin web related bc it has an easy 4-up preview to compare file size and what ull get out of it, not to mention it flow seemlessly into dreamweaver for my animated buttons etc.

So really i think they both have their place but over all i use fireworks bc of webpages.

I'd be curious to know which one Jammin thought was best when he posted them, and why.

This is where it starts to get a bit difficult.

I think that the fact that the images aren't exactly comparible doesn't help.

Then again, this was down to my laziness obviously (its surprisingly difficult to match colours and patterns etc.. when using transparancies, without doing some cross editing between the programs, which I didn't do obviously).

I think the grid size effects the look of the fireworks one alot.. plus I think the colour looks washed out because I couldn't quite match them properly.

I think the fact that I created the photoshop one first and then tried to replicate it meant I had to compromise on what I thought looked good in favour of trying to get resonable accuracy.

So I suppose the photoshop one does look the better of the two images. But this has more to do with my input into the images than anything else.

I have noticed that in some ppl sigs which were created in PS, that the text sometimes looks a little blurred.. I suspect this is more to do with the artist than the tools though.

With some slight colour change and other alterations, the fireworks pic suddenly gains some clarity...

sigtest2.jpg

For my final thought on both programs (opinion, just in case you forget) -

Photoshop is definitely a more complete program, with all its advanced features and bells and whistles. On a whole it can do just about anything.

Fireworks for me is more efficient for creating web graphics (this can include a reasonable range of things), the interface and the way the program works is slightly more intuitive in my opinion. This ease of use means that it doesn't take alot of learning.. where as photoshop takes a bit more effort to learn (with obvious reasons). Because of this, I think anyone could pick up fireworks and create some nice web graphics in a short space of time, but in photoshop this is alot more difficult.

As has been mentioned before.. fireworks is also nicely integrated into the Macromedia suite, a definite plus.

Fireworks all the way!! I get so frustrated and stressed out when i try to do something in Photoshop because is so not logical and user-friendly compared to Fireworks.

If you're doing something for the web and working in Photoshop you're simply totally wasting your time.

I wouldn't say you are totally wasting your time, as once you get to know photoshop you can still do things pretty quickly (esp. with keyboard shortcuts).. but I would agree that fireworks is generally faster.

I own both photoshop and fireworks.... I use photoshop only because i havent taken the time to learn fireworks. If you say fireworks is easy to learn, i should pick it up pretty fast since I'm pretty fluent with photoshop.

I'll tool around with it later

Yeah, If you know photoshop, then fireworks will no doubt be a breeze. it does work in a slightly different way, but once you are used to it then it's really easy.

www.half.com pick up the following books.

Fireworks MX Savvy

Fireworks Complete Reference

Macromedia Flash Complete Reference

Dreamweaver Complete Reference

Macromedia Flash MX Developer's Guide

Macromedia Flash Virtual Classroom.

All great books.

Oh yeah...i have a copy of all three programs. I don't mind sharing :)

• 11 months later...

the main diffrence is.. photoshop is for production stuff.. like magizeens.. and fireworks is for web graphics, because its fast and simple to use