Photoshop Vs Fireworks

jammin

Over the time of posting on these forums, several people have asked me about how I create sig images.

These have either been to do with effects used.. or the clarity of the image.

I know that alot of ppl here use photoshop to create their sig images, however I personally prefer to use fireworks (macromedia) as I think it provides a better solution for these kind of web based/restricted size images.

Below is a comparison between images created with each application so that you can see the differences.

I have tried to make the images as similar as possible.. but it is obviously difficult to get them identical.

Both use a 72 pixels/inch resolution (pretty standard)

sigtest.jpg

sigtest1.jpg

Feel free to comment on the differences, and your personal preferences on which programs you yourself would use.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that the 'save for web' function in photoshop cs is handy.. this is what I used for the image shown.

I just find fireworks quicker to work with.. but I have been using it for longer. Photoshop does have alot of features which as great... but it's not primarily desgined for web graphics designers.

I am as close as you can come to being an expert in both programs...and I must say, if you want power....Fireworks owns the road. Photoshop is for people with too much time on their hands. Fireworks is more production based. I can complete and publish a project in fireworks in the same time it would take someone to start on their optimizations in photoshop. I use both CS and MX2004.......hands down folks...Fireworks owns it......it's integrated into Dreamweaver, Freehand, Director, Flash, and Coldfusion.....which I use all 6....man if I had the time to spare....I'd be going around doing speaches on behalf of Macromedia and how wonderful of a job they did this time around on MX2004!!!

In conclusion:

For Web Design

Macromedia Products...ie Fireworks = Mercedes (convenience)

Adobe Products...ie Photoshop = Cadillac (pretty, but not perfect)

For Rendering BIG Images

Macromedia Products...ie Fireworks = Navigator (Sleek and stylish, not everyone's favorite, but it dang sure gets the job done)

Adobe Products...ie Photoshop = Hummer (big and bulky, takes a while to get there, but when you arrive, you show up in style)

I am as close as you can come to being an expert in both programs...and I must say, if you want power....Fireworks owns the road. Photoshop is for people with too much time on their hands. Fireworks is more production based. I can complete and publish a project in fireworks in the same time it would take someone to start on their optimizations in photoshop. I use both CS and MX2004.......hands down folks...Fireworks owns it......it's integrated into Dreamweaver, Freehand, Director, Flash, and Coldfusion.....which I use all 6....man if I had the time to spare....I'd be going around doing speaches on behalf of Macromedia and how wonderful of a job they did this time around on MX2004!!!

In conclusion:

For Web Design

Macromedia Products...ie Fireworks = Mercedes (convenience)

Adobe Products...ie Photoshop = Cadillac (pretty, but not perfect)

For Rendering BIG Images

Macromedia Products...ie Fireworks = Navigator (Sleek and stylish, not everyone's favorite, but it dang sure gets the job done)

Adobe Products...ie Photoshop = Hummer (big and bulky, takes a while to get there, but when you arrive, you show up in style)

And finally someone who knows what they are talking about..

Like I said... fireworks is designed for this kind of thing, so therefore has better tools for coping with it. Oh, and it is super quick.

Photoshop does rule in quality features, but thats because its a professional photo editing app.

edit.. and i find fireworks layer structure and colour manipulation alot easier to work with as well.

there's just some things that i can do in photoshop that i don't think are even possible in fireworks...

And finally someone who knows what they are talking about..

so only people who prefer Fireworks know what they are talking about?

slightly biased...

there's just some things that i can do in photoshop that i don't think are even possible in fireworks...

Sure.. I agree with you there, but it's not all stuff you would necessarily use on web based stuff.