Overclocking P4 3.4ghz

Right, I upped the fsb to 225 and the voltage to 1.600v

Runs 3dmark 2001 fine, ran Prime95 for 49mins, 0 errors, max cpu temp = 52c (bare in mind it was 50c b4 the overclock)

You guys think I will be safe running this baby @ 3.834ghz now??

Edited by TyranuS

They are 5c-10c too high.I use a 5c offset in mbm5 just to be on the safe side.The last mobo I had my chip in called it 44c full load with only two case fans.Now I've got four big case fans,and with my cpu in the Abit,load is 45c with room temp 27c.Really as long as you're under 50c you're probably OK.

How was it discovered that Abit report the temps too high? I assume someone probed their cpu or something. How could i check the CPU temp myself? I've always thought my temps were crap but this is great news. I usually get 40 idle and 50 - 55 load. Since i installed my Arctic VGA silencer though the load temps have dropped by 5 degress. And the idle have dropped about 2 degrees. But could i buy a thermometer or something and stick it on the CPU itself or on the hsf? :huh:

BTW, sorry for hijacking, tyranuS ;)

Well,I knew something was freaky the moment I turned on my Abit for the first time and looked in the BIOS.My cpu came out of an Intel 865perl and was running full load about 46c with stock HSF.When I fired up the Abit I saw 48c idle in BIOS.Then I figured I'd see what MBM5 said.About 42c idle.So I got a Spark 7+ (not an sp94 I know,but better than stock) and some AS5 and it read 40c idle 52c load.I had also added some case fans in the interim,so this was obviously wrong.Then I went to the Abit site to see if I needed a BIOS update or something,and found the unofficial Abit forums and a thirty page thread about temp reporting.The bottom line is Abit seems to think that their temps are accurate,and they don't seem to have any plans to change it.Nuclear could probably explain this a little better,but as far as I know there is a calculation or equation of some sort involved in how the temps are interpreted,because all these P4 mobo's are taking a measurement from the same place and calculating it differently.An external probe won't help a whole lot because apparently there is a differential of some degrees between the closest you could get a sensor (on top of the heat spreader) and where the temp sensor is (under the heat spreader).You can get a general idea,however.I also read an article somewhere (sorry lost the link) where they took the exact same cpu,put it in an Abit,checked temps,and put it in an Asus and checked temps.They were about 15c apart(!).So based on what I had read and on my experiences I had to conclude that my cpu temp was being reported higher than it actually was.In the end,I can live with anything under 50c.

BTW, sorry for hijacking, tyranuS

Don't worry about it fella, we're all here to learn afterall!

Can I hit 4G with my 3.2 800Mhz? If I had a water cooling system?

I can run most things stable @ 3.910ghz with temps going about 1-2 degrees higher than they were @ 3.4ghz!!

Doesn't seem to like Prime95 though :(

Edited by TyranuS

That's completely dependant on the chip...you know, some chips will hit over 4ghz on air, while some may never break 3.8 or so even on water...just luck of the draw. But I do believe the 3.2's tend to be good oc'ers, so why not? Go for it :D