Onboard Sound

Biagidp

I...am using onboard sound. I know it' shocking, but I took out my old SB Live to put in a machine with no sound at all. I have the ASUS A78NX dlx which uses the Nforce 2 sound and its not bad. I was just wondering if anyone has used this and then upgraded to an Audigity 1 or 2. Just wondering if the sound quality increases noticably or not.

Thanks

Biagi

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

I...am using onboard sound. I know it' shocking, but I took out my old SB Live to put in a machine with no sound at all. I have the ASUS A78NX dlx which uses the Nforce 2 sound and its not bad. I was just wondering if anyone has used this and then upgraded to an Audigity 1 or 2. Just wondering if the sound quality increases noticably or not.

Thanks

Biagi

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

I had SoundMax, Pretty much the same thing as your Nforce2 Sound..just a little weaker maybe..

And i got an Audigy 1 sound card..and MAn do i ever see the difference.

The only difference with the Audigy 1...is that i can adjust the Bass and Treble to my likings..

Yeah I tried the Soundstorm, but I had to put my Audigy back in. I mean the Soundstorm wasn't bad, but the Audigy was much better IMO. I was just able to get the clarity out of my sound system.

I tried soundstorm, and never looked back to my audigy again. it kicked the audigy in the crotch, no joke. I never once got my audigy to work properly with Creative's POS drivers, and the kx drivers, although they rock, they do not work well for gaming. I absolutley loved the soundstorm on my old A7N8X deluxe.

I use the on board sound on my mobo also, and i think its perfectly decent. As my Board has a VIA chipset i have realtek sound (RTL8101L), so i don't know how it compares to soundstorm. I have tried out several different soundcards in my comp, including an audigy 1. The fact that i am still using the onboard sound says something. Yeah sure, the audigy did sound a reasonable amount better, but not enough for me to ignore annoyances with the creative drivers/software.

If you are consider upgrading, you probably won't notice much difference unless you play alot of games and listen to alot of music/play films thru your computer. You also have to have the speakers to get the best sound out of it.

So if you do upgrade i would go with an audigy 2. The zs version isn't expensive and will most likely give you a decent sound improvment, you just have to remeber the possible downsides to this (mostly irritating[to me] drivers and software, plus I noticed that having a soundcard on the pci bus seemed to effect the stability of my OC'ing efforts)..

hope this is a help

Edited by jammin

It really only depends on what your speakers are, what your listening to, and how good your ears are. In my system, there is no difference between a Audigy and my Soundstorm, the speakers don't allow for a difference. (Mid-range Logitech Z-640s). But if you have ultra-high end speakers, you'll need a high end sound card too.

On my OCed fixer upper box I am using generic integrated intel 865 sound... I am not using it for much gaming or music so I don't really need the sound. But when I do overclock it, I get interference with the sound and it is like the CPU clock is coming through on speakers. There is no problem what-so-ever with overclocking when you have a standalone soundcard though. I really do notice the difference between my Audigy 2 and my AC97 sound, but you do get what you pay for...

-tsamb.