Fastest Hdd In The West...

tsamb.

Very soon I will be getting some new HDDs for a friend and installing them in his box. He is dagnam determined to get the fastest hard drives money can buy. At first I suggested 2 raptors in a RAID 0, but then I brought up the topic of SCSI drives. Now I was looking over the web and I noticed that a SCSI card and two ultra 320 drives are comparable to the raptors. So would it be better to get him a SCSI card and a couple of SCSI drives in a RAID array rather than SATA?

Please share suggestions, ideas, etc...

peace,

-tsamb.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very soon I will be getting some new HDDs for a friend and installing them in his box. He is dagnam determined to get the fastest hard drives money can buy. At first I suggested 2 raptors in a RAID 0, but then I brought up the topic of SCSI drives. Now I was looking over the web and I noticed that a SCSI card and two ultra 320 drives are comparable to the raptors. So would it be better to get him a SCSI card and a couple of SCSI drives in a RAID array rather than SATA?

Please share suggestions, ideas, etc...

peace,

-tsamb.

2 Cheetahs in RAID0

How hot would a couple of cheatahs get? Would a single 80mm fan blowin' air in from the outside be enough to cool em?

-tsamb.

Edited by tsamb.

How hot would a couple of cheatahs get?  Would a single 80mm fan blowin' air in  from the outside be enough to cool em?

-tsamb.

No you have to get HD coolers...

I have 3 Cheetah's 15k RPM drives, ALL on HD coolers...

One of em is only a u160 for my gaming rig along with a u160 card..

My server however has (2) u320 15k Cheetahs on RAID 0

In no way does it compare to SATA or RAID Sata for that matter...

Sata is Burst, SCSI isn't....

Nothing compares to SCSI as of today.

put the seagate drives DOWN. you want a pair of atlas 15k's from maxtor (formerly quantum). they get hot but they also have built in heatsinks.

and yeah that sustained transfer rate makes SCSI the king over sata.

SATA: 150mbps max... usually sits around 60mbps

SCSI U320: 320mbps max... all the time

I have a question on this issue also,because I think I'm confused.Actually,I know I'm confused.Do the SCSI drives run through a PCI adapter card?And if so how do they transfer so fast?I thought there was a "speed limit " for the PCI bus. :blink::blink:

I have a question on this issue also,because I think I'm confused.Actually,I know I'm confused.Do the SCSI drives run through a PCI adapter card?And if so how do they transfer so fast?I thought there was a "speed limit " for the PCI bus. :blink:

Thanks AYo.A little light reading. :P I had no idea it went this deep with the confusing standards.The guy that wrote the guide has this to say:

"Hardware makers! Stop confusing people by renaming standards to avoid confusing people".

320 scsi running in raid zero on pci express can achive up to 1024MB/s not megabits but megabytes hint 1MB/s is 8 times faster than 1Mb/s

in other words with a good mobo and 15k drive you can achive approx. 1GB/s

Yes I know this. My PCI-Adaptec u320 card CURRENTLY sticks off the slot because PCI express is a longer PCI slot, thus my card is ready to be installed on a PCI express Mobo as soon as they come out.

those are pci-x slots, not pci express. those boards are out there, and they are generally WAY to expensive. pci x is a 66mhz 64bit slot unlike pci's 33mhz 32bit interface.

I've got the same problem in my main rig. however my xeon HAS pci-x slots on it. with a pair of 36gb 15k u320's it seems to scream next to my main rig and it's pair of 73gb 15k u320's. but then again I've put those 320's in main rig up against a pair of 36gb raptors (the 73's are slower) in raid 0. still smoked em.

Edited by bigred