What Exactly Does A Server Do

Well, I've been thinking about building a new computer and I currently have four computers here and from what I know, a server is just a place all the computers access for information... I'm confused. Since most server Mobo's are dual processor would it be wise to build a gaming rig using this or are the processors made for high loads? By making a server could I load a game to it and have all the computers play the same game at the same time? Any info is appreciated. I googled it without any help.

A gaming rig doesn't utilize your two processors..

However if you wanted to Host a game on that server, that would be more than sufficient...

The 2nd most important item for a server on the net is an internet connection. You have to have enough upload depending on what and how much traffic you will have...

Here are definitions of various types of servers..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...q=define:Server

You don't have to get a "server" motherboard to have a server. Those types of boards are just mainly ment for high load workstations/servers. So just because you don't have a "server" mobo doesn't mean you can't make a computer into a server, just so you don't go spend a lot of money on a board that has all that extra power and you don't use it all. but you could host a game across your network or over the net if your internet is fast enough with a 1 cpu system. it just depends on the system and wut exactly you are wanting to do

the ONLY reason you'd need a dual cpu system in a game server is if it's hosting more than 1 game from console mode. durring lan parties I have setup the dual opteron to host UT, UT2k3, and Q3A at the same time. but that's not a normal thing to do, and costs a lot more than 3 regular systems to host the games on thier own.

you got 4 computers? Come fold with us! :foldon:

Haha, yes they do fold! Well, I was thinking that a server could load all the games and every computer could access it. True or false, lol. Basically, what I would use it for would be for videos and storage basically when I wanted to watch a movie I wanted to have any computer access it so if we all wanted to watch the same movie would we be able to? And if I did this, would the server have to have anything special? Any special programs or setups it would need to go through?

you can host a game, but if you are wanting to like run the game from the server that is not possible. well it maybe possible but your computer would be duing the processing of the information.

You can host videos for your network and other files. For that you really don't even need a faster than 800 mhz computer with about 320 or 512 ram. I would recomend using linux with samba for the file server, but windows has all the stuff to do it set up by defualt. you just got to pick witch foulder you want to host.

good luck to ya.

edit: I would also try to get gigabit but 100 mbit would be fine if it is going to just be you and maybe 1 or 2 other ppl using it and if you don't mind waiting for huge files.

A server is essentially the mother of many child systems. A server provides connections for the child systems, like printer support, file storage, IP leases, Web Pages, etc.

Think of the Server as well a server of information/programs/services/etc and the desktop PC as the Reciever of that informaiton.

Thats a pretty basic explination. Servers usually are more powerful with their processors, and have larger RAM, and faster Hard Drives, because of the load that is being placed on them. A server as a desktop would only run as fast as your operating system. Duel processors aren't really used in gaming, and basic apps. Essentially that is why servers have duel procs.

If you really want a proc with that capability get an Intel P4 with HyperThreading, that gives you a second virtual processor, its pretty good technology.

Cheers,