Did Socket A P3s Run Cool?

I just built a computer from spare parts for a friend. Its an old P3 500mhz. The thing has no fan though. It has a shrowd running from the powersupply down to the processor I guess to suck air past it. I tried putting in an 80mm fan to blow in but the computer acts like its not plugged in when so I had to remove it. Guess its the 200watt powersupply being weak. When I touch the heatsink its warm-almost hot. Ive ive never felt any warmth when from mine, its always ~ room temperature. Is this thing going to run hot and melt down?

Edited by Jakalwarrior

my old school had a computer lab with a crap load of P3 500 Mhz and i noticed that they had no fan on them either. In comparison, my old P2 400 Mhz just had that HS on it and that comp was on 24/7 no problems. I think the rule of thumb is that any processor that is below 1 Ghz does not create enough heat to place a fan on it.

Correct me if i am wrong but that is what i have heard.

my old school had a computer lab with a crap load of P3 500 Mhz and i noticed that they had no fan on them either. In comparison, my old P2 400 Mhz just had that HS on it and that comp was on 24/7 no problems. I think the rule of thumb is that any processor that is below 1 Ghz does not create enough heat to place a fan on it.

Correct me if i am wrong but that is what i have heard.

Um... if I didn't run h/s & fans on my Retro's (Celeron A's & K62's) they'd fry real quick ;)

as for the title of the thread..."Did Socket A P3s Run Cool?" Socket A wont support Intel processors, the last industry 'standard' that supported AMD/Cyrix/Intel was good 'ol SS7 :D

Now, to the question... I've seen those shroud thingys on propriety built systems with a PIII-450 (never got a closer look though), but every PIII I've ever seen has had a 'heatsink/fan combo' built on (see below)

p3-500.jpg

Would it be possible to cut an opening in that shroud to allow for forced air induction? (to compliment the current fan/exhaust system)? <_<

Thats very weird because all of our old P3s didnt have a fan on them. Just one of those big arse HS with a air scoop somming from the PSU.... I dunno. Maybe those were "special" computers :P:rolleyes:

Depends of revision and speed of the P3. The lower speed Slot 1 P3s didn't come with a fan, but I think maybe the higher speed ones did. The Socket 370 P3s came with a fan stock in all cases as far as a know. The Coppermine, which was the first revision of the Socket 370 P3 produced quite a bit of heat in the higher speed versions, but the lower speeds had excellent overclocking potential. All Coppermines max out at about 1 Ghz to 1.1 Ghz. The Tualatin P3, which was manufactured using a .13 micron process, was an excellent overclocker, and I've heard that using phase change some people got close to 2 Ghz. I dont think the Tualatins produced that much heat because of the better manufacturing process.

EDIT: Thanks for the refresher Taz-the first P3s were manufactured on a .25 micron process, and the Katmai core ran VERY hot. Overclocking the highest speed grade (600 mhz) often required heavy duty cooling (peltier), and the it was still difficult to get a 650 mhz. Try to stay away from these.

Also, if the heatsink is getting hot, that means it's doing its job. A fan wouldn't hurt though.

Thats very weird because all of our old P3s didnt have a fan on them. Just one of those big arse HS with a air scoop somming from the PSU.... I dunno. Maybe those were "special" computers

Hmmmm... <_< possibly just a different flavour :P

I should have said 'most' not 'every' because, now that you've described the appearance... I have seen one like it... but someone had still added an extra fan to it :)

Not to forget slot 1 (like above) and socket 370 (like below) were still PIII's ;) though having different micron process construction 0.25 vs. 0.18

pentiumiii.jpg

I tried putting in an 80mm fan to blow in but the computer acts like its not plugged in when so I had to remove it.

Hmm.. what type of mobo is it? I know alot of the older Dell computers I work with will not turn on if the right CPU fan is not plugged in...

Guest FxXP

A majority of Dells and Compaqs didn't have fans on their Slot 1 based systems. They came with a passive heatsink that was fairly large enough to dissipate the heat without the need of a fan.

Hehe, I cant remember the name of these old chip interfaces :) Knew it was a slot something. Anyway, the big problem was it wouldnt switch on if I plugged in an extra fan :/ The powersupply would just ignore me hitting the button until I unplugged it. Would that be affected by the fact that I made spliced wires to make the fan plug? (I took it out of an old power supply). It was running for a little while though then it got like it is now.