1st O/c

Every chip is a little different.My 2.4c CPU will run at 295 FSB with a 3:2 memory divider,and I can play games,run benchmarks,no prob.But it won't pass Prime95 :( .You can disregard thorough P95 testing if you like,and some do,but I (and many others) like the peace of mind that comes from passing the test.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have it running at 280Mhz @ 3-4-4-8 and obviously stable enough to do benchmarks on it. I tried this and it won't post, even at 270 at those timings ... what the heck?! ... I appreciate no two systems will be identical, but I am not even close!

Ok after reading this post, i gotta say a few things... When overclocking, a few things MUST be considered.

1). Overclocking is not something that should be done after reading a few days worth of information

2). Overclocking takes months, sometimes, and not days

3). If you overclocked the right way, you would not be trying to get 270FSB in a few minutes. Just by you upping your FSB by massive amounts puts your comp a SERIOUS risk of fekking up.

4). Yes your right, starting from 200 FSB will take forever. However, if you took the time to study overclocking, you would notice that this "sport" or "hobby" takes a long time. Some people on here up their FSB by 3 and run Prime 95 for a day or two and repate this pattern for months until they get that 270-290 FSB. Ask Nuclear, hes got 4.0+ P4s... How did he do it? He took his time. :blink:

I am in no way flamming. I just want you do get an idea of what the meaning of what overclocking is and how to do it properly. Take your time and, who knows! You might have yourself a goldmine of a chip but because you dont wait, it does not o/c a lot. ;)

Prime95 is more of way to make your system completley stable. If you run fine on games and other stuff like that but you fail prime95 don't worry about it. If you crash in games lower the speeds and try again. After a few hours of gaming, if nothing happens you should be good. Now if you can run prime 95 for 6+ hours with no errors then you have a very stable system.

I've been reading up on it for a few weeks not a few days, but your right i know absolutly nothing. You are saying you have to coax your system into acheiving higher performance? I see what your saying, I think, but I didn't realise the time and effort you have to put in - I just wanted a quick machine for work, and I guess I already have that now.

Well I dunno, I'm gonna run the prime thing at 240fsb over night and see what happens!

You are saying you have to coax your system into acheiving higher performance? I see what your saying, I think, but I didn't realise the time and effort you have to put in

I've read numerous stories of mobos gone bad or even dead mobos from fsb raised (or even lowered) too quickly. Also if you're gonna hit the wall as far as how OC'able your system is, you just don't want to hit that wall too hard. I agree with Newport; I don't mind going slow... I look at it like a pc with upgradability built in.

Also do you have MBM5 installed to watch your temps, fans and power stability with? You'll want your system to automatically shutdown (or warn you) if a parameter jumps the scale.

Of course increasing the FSB by 3mhz at a time then prime95'ing it for a day is safer, but realistically its overkill. What I do is increase by 5 mhz at a time, then run prime for say 2 hours, if it passes it, overclock 5 mhz more. When prime doesnt pass 2 hours of your overclock, lower the FSB back 5mhz again, then run prime for say 6+ hours, if its stable there and the temps are in the green your all set in my opinion.

Is you OCZ RAM cas 3 or 2.5 ?

It's CAS 2.5 ...

Ok well I left Prime running it's Torture Test over night - it's been on 9 hours with no errors. Is this a long enough test to show my system is stable?

This is what I have set in the BIOS.

AI O/C tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: 240Mhz

DRAM Frequency: 400Mhz

AGP/PCI Frequency: Auto

VCore: 1.5250 (lowest)

DDR Reference Voltage: Auto

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.50v (lowest)

Performance Mode: Auto

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled

Performance Acceleration mode: Auto

DRAMIdle Timer: Auto

DRAM Refresh Rate: Auto

Not sure what much of those do, but I put them in anyway :P

I'm not using MBM, I'm using ASUS Probe to monitor my temps and have a vantec fan controller and several fans to keep things cool. CPU is idling at about 30C and after 9 hours of Prime95 Torture Test, still under 40C.

I'm going to up the FSB by 3Mhz and run Prime again :)

Edited by p3rfect

Given the near infinate combinations of hardware and environments, there is no one that can say that one method will work better than another. Yeah, if I had an extremely controled environment and some kick-butt cooling, I would be able to get some of those massive OC's too.

(not picking on you Nuke..)

Now take Nuclear for example. Rumor has it that he has quite a few CPU's and has had the time to test them. It seems that he has done his research into batch-numbers and the such. He knows what he is getting, and he seems to know his CPUs. I on the other hand have unmached trouble shooting skills and can tell you when and how a component is starting to fail. The point being, you have to know the limits of your hardware and how you can push it.

I think you can usually start off with a resonable overclock from the start, and then work from there. My typical starting point for a system burn-in is usually around the +200mhz range. Call me crazy, but it works for me.

Edited by KraZy

It's CAS 2.5 ...

Ok well I left Prime running it's Torture Test over night - it's been on 9 hours with no errors. Is this a long enough test to show my system is stable?

This is what I have set in the BIOS.

AI O/C tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: 240Mhz

DRAM Frequency: 400Mhz

AGP/PCI Frequency: Auto

VCore: 1.5250 (lowest)

DDR Reference Voltage: Auto

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.50v (lowest)

Performance Mode: Auto

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled

Performance Acceleration mode: Auto

DRAMIdle Timer: Auto

DRAM Refresh Rate: Auto

Not sure what much of those do, but I put them in anyway :P

I'm not using MBM, I'm using ASUS Probe to monitor my temps and have a vantec fan controller and several fans to keep things cool. CPU is idling at about 30C and after 9 hours of Prime95 Torture Test, still under 40C.

I'm going to up the FSB by 3Mhz and run Prime again :)

My OCZ is also cas 2.5, I have the 4200 and its only gurateed to do 250 on 1:1, I got a little more than 250 on 1:1, also I ran mine on 2.5-4-4-7 instead of looser timings, to go higher than 250 if you have not reached the limits of your cpu you are going to have to change the divider from 1:1=400 to 3:2=320 or what ever it is or even 5:4=266, this is what I got on 1:1 with my OCZ 4200 cas 2.5 but I have the 3.2EE try the factory RAM settings and see what happens, and change the agp/pci from auto to 66/33 or 33/66 which ever it is its been awhile since I have been in the bios, take the Dram timing by SPD and change it to manual and set it 2.5-4-4-7 and that other one that has a choice of 4 or 8 choose 8. leave performance mode to auto which should be off and do use the turbo either set it to auto, and to get more out of your chip you are going to have to up the vcore a notch when you can not go any higher on auto, which is going to cause more heat so watch your temps. I must be carzy also because I started out increasing 5 at a time right on up till it would not boot then backed it up a little and raised the vcore and just keep on uping evering thing untill it would not go any more then backed it up and ran prime95 etc. of course I did not build this system for anything other than overclocking to see what it would do and I knew I could burn anything up at any moment and I took the risk!

Edited by road-runner