1st O/c

Here's my new setup:

P4C800-E Deluxe

INTEL P4 3.0Ghz

2x512MB OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold

2 x Striped Western Digital Raptor 36gb 10000rpm

I've tried to o/c, basically just by setting the DRAM to 400 and upping the fsb. I quickly managed to get to 245Mhs FSB @ 1:1 - that's 3674.9Mhz.

Asus probe is reading 29C/31C for CPU/MB respectively, air cooled.

So is this what I should be doing? I don't really have much of a clue, other than what I have read on here the past few days!

How exactly do I test to see if it is stable - is there some benchmark that will show this? Should I try and o/c higher?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if my temps are good and it is looking stable then I'm not in danger of fooking it am i?

*edit*

Well I ran Prime and within about 5 minutes I got an error...something about not rounding up... bugger! What's this mean?

Edited by p3rfect

You can, but I usually use that as a last resort. First, find your max fsb on stock voltages. Run that for a day or so, then raise it a little more and up the V core if necessary

So I should raise my FSB by 3Mhz, run prime for a day and repeat until it fails? What FSB should I start at? Starting from 200Mhz would take weeks!

There are so many bios settings I am confused :-s What about memory timings and other things like that?

I find it bizaar that I was expecting heat to be the limiting factor in o/cing but so far it's not even the slightest problem.

Well, if you're getting errors at 245, but it boots, then drop it down to say, 235 or 240 and test there. Booting mean's it's somewhat stable, so you're close to your max fsb on stock voltages

So how the heck do these guys do this?

Same board, same RAM, but with a slower chip than me.

They have it running at 280Mhz @ 3-4-4-8 and obviously stable enough to do benchmarks on it. I tried this and it won't post, even at 270 at those timings ... what the heck?! ... I appreciate no two systems will be identical, but I am not even close!