Stealth Disk Drive

Ive seen a few pictures of stealth drives and I think they look awesome and I want to do one on my computer. It seems pretty self explanatory, but I dont know where I would put the buttons to open and close it. If I keep them where they are at, it wouldnt really be stealth, right? Thanks in advance for the help.

im pretty sure that you can put something like a pencil eraser in between the cover and the drive and just press in that area and it will open.

yea you can do what cheeseman siad but use a piece of wood or plastic instead of an eraser

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/s...3418345,00.html

Edited by henbenley

:withstupid: Thats what I did on my drives. I just glued some peices of styrene to the back of the cover and attached the covers to the drives with thick poster tape. You can also solder a switch on, but I'm not exactly sure how.

Aight, if you look at my case (at the bottom picture), you will get a better idea of how I did my stealth...

1. First, I dremel'ed off the edges of the cover plate.

2. I filled the back of the plate with a layer of card board.

3. I used -RUBBER CEMENT- (or equvilent!) to glue it on to the front of the cd-rom door.

This took some good aiming, and not too much time. BTW, I stress the rubber cement because you will want the plate to be able to move back and forth a little. This helps when positioning the drive (during rebuilds) and allows the old button to be used.

I have two ways to open the door, btw. 1. Software. 2. Push the lower right corner of the plate and listen for the satisfying 'click' of the button.

(side note: whhooohoo! just noticed I got my Folding icon... finally....)

Edited by KraZy

you can actually open your drive by going to.....

My computer > right click on your drive > click on eject

Thats for all of us windows "fans"

At that point, to close it you would either push it in, or hit the button, exposed now since the drive is out.

What do you do if u have the plastic clip retention things for your 5.25 drives, i got them and i can't get my drive flush with the case.

you could probable get a dremel and then just cut them off and make the cover plate just a totaly flat peice of plastic and then add something to make it hit the button when pressed