Os Stays Intact From Intel To Amd!

kurosen

So I'm building a new system for work and needed a HDD for it, I went through some old junk in my storage room (yes I have my own personal storage room for computer stuff :D) and pulled out a POS Quantum Fireball 8.4GB from an old 600mHZ (that's right mHZ not gHZ) Intel system I had laying around...

I connected it to the new(er) AMD Athlon XP 1900+ system and forgot to load from CD first... This is where it gets interesting... The OS loaded completely, found all the pretty new devices it was connected to, and worked just fine!

I checked for data errors after doing some activity on it, and nothing to report! I just need to load the ethernet drivers and I'll be typing from it later on today... Any explanations? :huh:

Yeah, I find that Win98 pretty good about motherboard/system switches. I've done stuff like that a few times. WinXP is another story... it doesn't like the ATA controller changing on it.

Edited by Some_Guy_

I had to change motherboards on my intel big rig the one in my sig. a while back and I hooked up the raptors etc. and turned it on not even thinking, I knew I was going to format and reinstall xp pro but everything worked fine, I could not believe it, of course it was the same asus p4c800 deluxe board but was a new one because the last one had got wet, I was thinkin to myself all the other times I changed things and formated etc. I should have tried it first!

Edited by road-runner

Fun story, I actually just did this today - switched out an AMD 2500+ & mobo for a P42.8C & mobo

Booted up, had to install the Intel drivers/processor drivers, and bam, no need to reformat XP (thank GOD)

From what I recall, xp only requires a re-install if you change 3 out of a bunch of system parts that's recorded during the initial install. Not sure exactly how it works, but since I only changed 2, I lucked out....

I wonder if I switch in new memory and video card if everything will implode on me - any bets?