Applying Thermal Paste

Arctic silver, or thermal paste, im curious.

I put on my heatsink with thermal paste put on, then removed it, and the thermal paste removed from the surface of the "black area" and fell onto the sides.

whats the point of the thermal grease, am I applying it wrong? everytime i do it, nomatter how thin the area, it ends up on the side of the black area, and ont he green part of my chip. ALso, I'm not applying my heatsink too tight either, doing it just fine.

any more info woudl be great, im sortof new to pc building.

Thermal paste is meant to fill in those really small grooves in the heatsink where hot air has a chance to build up. You don't need very much thermal paste at all, just a paper think layer or two. The stuff that ends up on the side is most likely just extra thermal paste, I wouldn't worry about it. I would also never install a processor without thermal paste.

ok, your post is really confusing but i think i've got it covered answer to question number one artic silver is better then thermal grease question number two what is this "black area" you speak of?and there's no way of applying your heat sink to tight it clips on...

on the side of the black area (cpu die) and yeah its ounds too me like ur using too much if its putting a lot of it off to the side, it doesn't take much. jsut a think layer liek ghost said. in thermal paste, the thinner the better.

jsut a think layer liek ghost said. in thermal paste, the thinner the better.

I dunno if that is 100% true. I personally think that if its too thin, its worse then having it a little thicker(were talking a tiny bit thick like one full size rice). with my P4, i applyed it exactly how its shown(which is very thick) and got temps like 38-43C idle/40-45load. With it aliitl thick i got 33-36C idle/38-41C load.

I dunno if that is 100% true. I personally think that if its too thin, its worse then having it a little thicker(were talking a tiny bit thick like one full size rice). with my P4, i applyed it exactly how its shown(which is very thick) and got temps like 38-43C idle/40-45load. With it aliitl thick i got 33-36C idle/38-41C load.

well a p4 has more surface area than the amd does. the p4 has the heat spreader on it where as teh amd u apply it directly to the die.

I have had problems like that too on my AMD's, I apply exactly how it states on the AS5 site and other places, and it isnt enough, overheats before post actually. I take it off put a little more and BAM its up and running. This is on a lapped heatsink too.

I have been using AS5 and I think it is quite a bit better than regular thermal grease. I read an article (server is down right now), where the guy had done a AS5 study. He spoke personally with the owner of the Artic Silver line and got some interesting information from him. To cut to the chase....if you apply using the 'thin spread method' you actually induce more air into the mix. There is another method, where you just dab a small amount on the core and when you compress the HS against the core it spreads from the force, minimizing air bubbles. Since air is a poor thermal conductor, minimizing air bubbles is a good idea. He had several degrees © lower using the latter method. So, I tried it and it does work. I am about 2 to 3 C lower now. Here is the link (if it comes back up):

http://www.ksbrainstorms.com/ksbrainstorms...Silver_5_Review

( at least I'm pretty sure that was it)

I have been using AS5 and I think it is quite a bit better than regular thermal grease. I read an article (server is down right now), where the guy had done a AS5 study. He spoke personally with the owner of the Artic Silver line and got some interesting information from him. To cut to the chase....if you apply using the 'thin spread method' you actually induce more air into the mix. There is another method, where you just dab a small amount on the core and when you compress the HS against the core it spreads from the force, minimizing air bubbles. Since air is a poor thermal conductor, minimizing air bubbles is a good idea. He had several degrees