Help On A Cd Button Mod

so i bought a button and im gonna hook it up to open/close my cd tray

if closing is nt possible open only will do.

now my problem is that i donno how to achive this task. if you guys have done one and can write up a good guide i would apriectiatte it. General912 i know you've done one right?

The third pin on the CD-ROM's button really isn't a pin, but a retention mechanism... that's just the body of the button soldered to the board for extra support. Generally that's the largest of the pins.

so i can...somhow unsolder it from the chip(green thing) solder wires on so it connects up in the same places as before?

if so thats good...cept there is about 1mm clearence between the chip and the button...any ideas?

heres what yah do. Take the cover off the drive. Flip it upside down notice where the conectivity to the button on the drive is. Take a multimeter and set it on conductivity, and make sure that those are the right two pins. Then after your sure about that your good to go. I used some cat5e cable. just two strands of it. works great! thats about it. need any help email me or contact me on the messengers.

I think these work best with momentary switches like the power on button, it needs only a short contact to do the job of opening and closing. if a regular switche is used a fast on then back to off will probably do ;)

I think these work best with momentary switches like the power on button, it needs only a short contact to do the job of opening and closing. if a regular switche is used a fast on then back to off will probably do ;)

yes forgot to mention that. Thanks kolbalt.

hmm. so good replys wwhile i was gone. freaking got grounded :angry:

anywho i went to radio shack today, and wanted to buy some switches, but they f**cking cost like 10 bucks each, so im gonna try and work out a system with this on off button i have now. plus this particular one lights up so that should be preaty phat :D