New Video Editing System Build

kojack

I was a regular on here back in the early 2000's.  Since then priorities changed with family etc.  I am back building a new video editing rig for my business.  I have some parts already, but others I am up in the air on.  

The list as follows

Thermaltake Xaser III steel case.  This thing weighs 50lb plus pounds and its a tank. I think I am going to give it a custom paint job and change all the red accents to bright green and paint the inside green too.  I am going to install nocturna fans in this for slient or near silent use. 

I am going with a dual xeon X99 board with dual 2620 V3 cpus.  I am not sure on a cooling solution for these as they are close together on my board. I will update when I figure out what I am going with.  I am thinking nocturna for slient useage.  

I am installing 8x32 gb ram in the board for a total of 256gb of ram.  This will most likely be Kingston ram as I like the brand and has been very reliable for me.

Next up is the video card.  it's going to be at least a 12gb video card so I can push it a bit.  Any suggestions on something like this in a semi affordable version would be appreciated.

I will be running software off 2 NVME kingston A2000 256gb drives in Raid 0.  There will be 3 kingston a400 512gb drives for scratch/temp/swap drives one each.  I will be using 2 14tb HDD in raid 1 for storage most likely seagate drives. 

I will be powering this with a 1320w enermax revo PSU to make sure I have enough power when pushing the system.  This will be driving 2 monitors,  my 24" dell touchscreen and a dell 24" 4K next to it.  

My videos for now will be shot using 4k from a panasonic FZ2500, Sony RX10 iv, Panasonic FZ300 and my iphone 11.   Most footage will be from the two panasonic cameras however.  They will live in their video rigs with lighting, mics and stabilization setups.  For photo I will be using my RX10 iv, Fujifilm X-S1, X10 and some other cameras.  

I will put up some photos as I go along.  The first thing is to get the case painted and ready to go.  

22 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Glad to see you back! Question though, why use these old X99 / 2620v3?  Other than it being really cheap on ebay, these new Intel and AMDs chips will outperform it easily.

Thanks.  You hit the nail on the head.  The best place for me to spend the money in this system is the video card.  So I figured the New dual cpu board max as much ram as I can pop on there, and the various drives and it should be ok.  Put it this way,  a guy with a 2017 based system from puget, was 3 seconds slower than his 40,000 dollar macPro.  I think this machine will skip along quite nicely.  Oh,  how come I can only post one post a day here?

I think the post limitation goes away after you get a few more posts, it's to block spammers.

X99 is still very capable, but those Chinese remanufactured motherboards do have some quirks, but seem OK overall. I assume you are looking at the ZX-DU99D4, I don't think you will be able to NVMe RAID on that since one slot gets PCIe from the CPU and the other from the chipset, the lower slot is PCIe 3.0 and the upper is PCIe 2.0, so I would opt for a faster larger NVMe on the lower personally.

One of my older systems is an x58 with a xeon x5670 overclocked, it is still very capable at 2K/4K gaming even. Clock for clock modern CPUs will dominate it but they also cost a lot more!

Wow these dual X99 are like $400 on ebay used. I beat you could find a Threadripper 1920X+MB for less. $40 for a pair of 2620 v3 is nice, but not good if all the real brands like ASUS and Supermciro the MBs are all overpriced for something used.

If you use Divinci Reslolve 16/17 Adobe Premiere CC21 you do offload the video encoding to the GPU. Much faster then any dual socket CPU system.

19 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Wow these dual X99 are like $400 on ebay used. I beat you could find a Threadripper 1920X+MB for less. $40 for a pair of 2620 v3 is nice, but not good if all the real brands like ASUS and Supermciro the MBs are all overpriced for something used.

If you use Divinci Reslolve 16/17 Adobe Premiere CC21 you do offload the video encoding to the GPU. Much faster then any dual socket CPU system.

I have one for 149.99.  X99 dual CPU and dual nvme drive slocks.  I may pony up for more powerful processors since they are decently cheap.  I need to slow down on the processors and board, and spend on the amount of drives and video card.  That's where the most gain is. 

I've been looking for the specs saying which CUDA and OpenCL is supported in Divinci Reslolve Encoding. I cannot find it anymore.  But it looks like the Free version does not have the GPU acceleration enabled...or so the Blackmagic forums say so.

I was using it for Divinci Reslolve 17. But that was the beta, so it might be why it was enabled.

Well,  this was short lived.  I just got a new XPS 8490 through my business for editing purposes.  I may throw my shop computer into this case because that cases fans etc are giving me fits.  Would be cool bling for the shop too.  Ha ha.  I will be checking back regularly and posting around.  

On 3/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, ir_cow said:

Congrats on the free computer!

It's not free,  It's bought through my new business.  I could not wait to gather up the pieces of the original build.  This gives me a system I can use and pay off over twelve months with no interest, and have it now.  I have some things to add when I get the machine but at least I can work with files and programs as needed without my laptop having the fits trying to accomplish a simple HD video edit using windows photos.  I cannot image trying to do the same via Resolve 17.  The laptop would cook.