Best utilities for stress testing in 2020

New threads related to unstable overclocks and defective hardware pop up on a regular occasion. It is often asked how to stress test some component. Below you'll find my top picks after weeks of testing - updated for 2020.

GPU
Unigine Heaven
FurMark / MSI Kombuster
*GPUs tend to clock down due to power and thermal limits when running FurMark*
*Lower resolutions put more stress on the VRMs*

Video RAM
Final Fantasy XV Benchmark
*Set to maximum quality and run in a loop*

Memory modules (configuration, timings and overclock)
MemTest64
HCI MemTest (one instance per thread)
*Best run from safe mode without a pagefile*
Linpack Xtreme

Memory modules (physical integrity)
MemTest86

Processor
Linpack Xtreme
Prime95 small FFTs

Integrated Memory Controller
Prime95 custom run of FFTs from 512K to 1024K with 90% of RAM
Linpack Xtreme

Northbridge, bus and PSU
Prime95 custom run of FFTs from 512K to 1024K with 80% of RAM + LuxMark or FurMark running in the background at 720p.

Good list. I'll pin it!

Personally I use 3DMark for GPU stress testing along with MSI Kombuster. I used Unigine Heaven before and wrote OC guides using it, but I found it isn't perfect. Heaven will be stable for hours, but a real game will instantly crash. Can't go wrong with free, but it isn't very stressful on the GPUs from the last few years.

Once I have what I think is stable clocks with Kombuster (AKA not crashing). I'll run TimeSpy Extreme stress test which does 20 loops. If it comes back at 98% or higher I'll try whatever game i'm playing at the moment. I've found you can have stability in one game, but not another. So you need all 3 to make sure its stable in everything. Very rarely does 3DMark Stress complete with a 98% or higher and the games are not stable.

• ir_cow pinned this topic

Nice list! Definitely going to try a few of the tools mentioned above.

I recently figured out how useful MemTest86 and HCI MemTest are, whilst troubleshooting some random game crashes.
After a bit of trouble shooting (testing two sticks, one stick, then the other stick) it turns out one of my sticks were faulty and were causing errors.

For my CPU overclock I found that 30 minutes of Cinebench was useful for a quick test.
And then a 1hr Realbench run which gives me a good idea of stability as well as how hot things get.

For my GPU overclock I found that running Unigine Valley at 4K was useful. You normally see any artifacts and then can dial it back a bit and leave it running.
I never found much use for Furmark/Kombustor as the clocks are dropped way down and it didn't seem realistic to me. 

Does Linpack Xtreme and Prime 95 reach crazy temps because of AVX ? I remember certain versions of Prime95 used to hit 100C within a few seconds which is crazy.

I also find Battlefield V is one of the more intensive games out there. If you play few hours without crashes your CPU/GPU is pretty stable for gaming.

FFmpeg script to convert with x264 is a pretty good stress test, but it is data intensive. You do need a good length input video after all, but I have had times when the system was completely stable, until I tried to re-encode something. For example, my desktop's 1950X can actually be run at 4 GHz for most anything, but I have to run it at 3.8 GHz because above that it will hard lock while encoding very consistently.

35 minutes ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

FFmpeg script to convert with x264 is a pretty good stress test, but it is data intensive. You do need a good length input video after all, but I have had times when the system was completely stable, until I tried to re-encode something. For example, my desktop's 1950X can actually be run at 4 GHz for most anything, but I have to run it at 3.8 GHz because above that it will hard lock while encoding very consistently.

That's one of the reasons I like Realbench.
One of the tests uses Handbrake h.264 video compression.
And at the same time it runs two other tests - one is single threaded GIMP Image Editing and the other is OpenGL Luxmark on the GPU.

RealBench is oudated and not brutal enough for "absolute stability". But it is very useful in test scenarios of high LLC, C-states, dynamic voltage.

Does Linpack Xtreme and Prime 95 reach crazy temps because of AVX ?

Partially. Mass equation solving is a demanding task.

Edited by Regenerati0n

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...