Graphics Card Failure?

Cyberbeer

I was playing DBZ Kakarot earlier and during a cuts scene using game engine my computer locked up no response.  Manually restarted my computer and it booted into 800x600 resolution with some non moving blue lines and dots.  Restarted it again and it booted to normal resolution minus the blue lines and dots.  Tried to start the game again and as soon as game engine began rendering my computer froze again.

Reinstalled graphics driver cleanly and the same thing happened when trying to play the game.  Reset windows, reinstalled driver, steam, and game, and the same thing happened. Crash also happens when starting Ace combat 7 which is installed on another driver.  So far no games will launch.

Rig is older a 2013 build main specs:

Asus ROG Hero VI Maximus

16GB Corsair RAM

Intel i5 4670k series

EVGA 780 GTX superclocked

Windows, steam , and game installed on older Samsung Pro 256MB SSD. 

Edited by Cyberbeer

Yep, sounds like a power supply or video card issue. But since you get lines on the screen, I would say the video card. Strange that the lines went away. Usually when I've comes across a video card with bad memory, the lines don't go away.

Does any games or benchmarks run?

Best thing to do is if you can try another video card and see if the problem stops, could even be your psu getting weak, if this don't work load the same on another hd and try that.  It's a pain but better than throwing money for new parts until you find out which one is bad. If you did a fresh install of os and drivers most likely it's not a software problem, jmho ! But like above post said the vid cable is the easiest one to check first but I think it's more serious than that.

LOL, I was typing when you posted ir, great minds think alike !

Edited by SpikeSoprano

As people have said there is no clear way to test the hardware other then a swap. I am sure someone handier then I could potentially trace the error code back to the culprit. I have experiencedd this before and as others have said, the video card was the culprit.

However, Have you attempted to run any stress tests or put the CPU and ram under a dedicated load. If you do have an issue there it could very well be in the remainder of the system.  Pop some monitoring software on there such as hardware monitor and see what the supply voltage does when you are starting up a load. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. 

Open hardware monitor, and core temp for monitors

OCCT, prime95, intel burn test to name a few stress tests.

Also if its compatable, which maybe, Intel extreme tuning utility is a great monitor, tweaker and stress test packed together.

I had a similar problem last year. I removed the fans and heat sink and then cleaned (alcohol) and reapplied thermal compound.
All of the dots/lines/blackouts/etc disappeared and I was back in business. Might be worth a shot.

Going with my gut and I wanted to upgrade graphics one way or another I ordered a evga 1660 ti and installed it. 

Everything is working normally.  Decent upgrade for far cheaper than I spent on my original GTX 780 sc.  Sad to see her go but 7 years ain't bad.  Longer than most marriages.  :)

Thanks all very much for their input.

Edited by Cyberbeer

4 hours ago, Cyberbeer said:

Going with my gut and I wanted to upgrade graphics one way or another I ordered a evga 1660 ti and installed it. 

Everything is working normally.  Decent upgrade for far cheaper than I spent on my original GTX 780 sc.  Sad to see her go but 7 years ain't bad.  Longer than most marriages.  :)

Thanks all very much for their input.

This is certainly good news. Glad you are back in business. :)

And if it makes you feel any better I am still running my 3930K from ages ago. Crazy how that has held on all this time given how I abuse it. But it keeps crackin on.