Windows 10 Older PC

road-runner

Will windows 10 be ok on x58 chipset i7-980x? All I use it for is email facebook browse the net etc. and blue iris ipcam software works fine on windows 7

Yea, it works great.  I have a GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1), and transitioned from Windows 7.  I have a Xeon W3680, so the processors are pretty similar.  I don't know anything about the

ipcam software though.

Edited by Minime 939

I use windows 10 on a i3 laptop from 2013. Runs fine for email and web. I will say a SSD for the OS was so much nicer in boot times and updates. Also 4GB of ram isng enough. I had go upgrade go 8.

The only problem I have is with the poorly written Drivers for the sata 3 ports.  I have a Crucial M550 SSD on one of those ports and I don't get the full use of that drive.  I am thinking of moving that drive to one of the PCIe ports using an adapter.  Id like to get faster speeds...hopefully up to the rated speed of that drive.  Actually Id like to add a NVMe drive, but that seems to be too much of a hassle.

Edited by Minime 939

23 hours ago, Minime 939 said:

The only problem I have is with the poorly written Drivers for the sata 3 ports.  I have a Crucial M550 SSD on one of those ports and I don't get the full use of that drive.  I am thinking of moving that drive to one of the PCIe ports using an adapter.  Id like to get faster speeds...hopefully up to the rated speed of that drive.  Actually Id like to add a NVMe drive, but that seems to be too much of a hassle.

The Marvel controllers on older X58 motherboards are not vary good, do not even run close to sata 3 speeds.

Best option I have found is using PCIe/NVMe adapters. I'v had good luck using SIIG PCIe adapters on older X58 boards, vary easy to install and set-up.  https://www.siig.com/full-speed-m-2-nvme-ssd-to-pcie-adapter-with-heatsink.html

This looks good.  I was thinking about getting an adapter for the Sata 3 drive I have, and maybe getting an adaptive card for both the 2.5" sata 3 drive and for an M.2 Sata 3, but I would prefer just an NVMe adapter.  If I went for the NVMe adapter, do I have to worry about what drives I use? I've been told that the only drives I can use are ones that will accept legacy bios...and the drives are more expensive and hard to find.  Or, I can alter the bios to accept the NVMe drives, and I think that is beyond my ability.   All my drives are set at AHCI right now.  How would I be able to set a new NVMe drive to the NVMe option in the bios when it doesn't exsist now?  Also, I would want this to be my boot drive.  Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Minime 939
mispell

PCIe /NVMe works just fine on X58 motherboards, Samsung 950, 960, and 970 Pro are all plug and play out of the box, The important part is the PCIe extension card (a.K.a. the PCIe NVMe adapter)

You can practically run any NVMe SSD on X58, by using DUET.  https://forums.evga.com/How-to-set-up-EVGA-X58-Motherboard-E762-with-NVMe-M2-Boot-drive-m2890374.aspx

DUET - is a little tool that boots from and sits on top of your legacy BIOS and provides generic UEFI interface, which can utilize the vary latest hardware, including bootable NVMe SSDs. Think of it as an expansion of your current legacy BIOS.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Will this work with some of the cheaper drives being offered right now, like Micro Center's Inland 1TB.?  What adapter do you recommend?  I tried getting through to SIIg online and they wouldn't take my call unless I was a retailer.  My bios mode is Legacy, so I guess I have to install DUET?

Edited by Minime 939

I'v only used the SIIG adapters with Samsung NVMe M.2 SSDs and Sandisk USB flash drives,.. I'm not 100% sure if the Samsung controller is needed or if it matters much which brand NVMe M.2 SSD you use, seems any adapter with same X16 specs as the SIIG would be fine,.. and for loading DUET I have only used Sandisk USB drives but guess any brand USB flash drive would be fine.

If you follow the guide, it's vary easy,.. install DUET on USB flash drive, install adapter with NVMe M.2 drive, set BIOS to boot from USB device as primary.  :cheers: 

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks for the help Braegnok.  I'm going to have to watch those You Tube videos a few more times.  And I think I need to get my nerve up a bit.  I think I'll do it just not right away.  Do you install Duet first ( or can I have it on my machine and not cause problems) and install the adapter and drive at a later time? 

Edited by Minime 939

I aint doing all that, was just thinking about updates coming to an end soon. I think I will just shove the win 7 rig in the corner let it be the dedicated camera server and move one of the new rigs in as my main rig. I got a broadwell and a i9 both with windows 10 already setup from the mining days