Video editing/Gaming build - Budget (1000$ to 1500$) HELP!

RadioActivated

7 hours ago, ir_cow said:

The FX 9590 is the "fastest" cpu for your mothebroard (AM3). Its just a reference point. Ive had a FX 8350 before. Great budget CPU for its time, but no where near Intel for the the time. 

Any Ryzen 3XXX CPU will be night and day in comparison. AMD FX chips really struggled to keep up with a Intel i5 (for its time period). You bought a FX because it was half the price as Intel and in gaming the FPS wasnt that far off (depending on the game). Differently not a CPU for video editing in any way shape or form.

Alright so here's the new build I just came up with. I've been reading a lot about the 5700XT from Radeon and for a bang-for-buck, it's the way to go, the only thing is the blower cooler on it sucks, so I might need to get a aftermarket cooler for it eventually. I also heard they had a lot driver problems, so I don't know which to choose lol, it's either pay a little more for let's say the RTX 2070 Super or something similar to get lower temps and no driver problems or pay a little less and deal with the problems urghhh..

Also, you'll notice that it mentions that the BIOS might need an update and that stuff might not work, I am concerned. Have you had any similar experiences like this?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8GFH6s

Edited by RadioActivated

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are ovecompensating because you want a computer that will last 5-7 years and adding parts thar arent going make a difference at all for 1080 editing or encoding.

Many moons ago MP4 and 1080p footage was the bees knees and you needed a serious workstation to edit and render the footage. Not so much anymore.  1080 encoding started off as MPG2 and is now currently with MP4. Besides that the only progress in 10 years is HECV / H.265. With 1080 footage you get a 15-20% reduction in file size for the same quailty. It can save time for uploading. Just not many things support it for playback yet. So really besides uploading to YouTube its not that of a use. Plus it can take 10x longer to encode.

So since I assume you will be encoding MP4 footage for the foreseeable future (while on 1080 footage), you can save a lot of money that will have little to no affect on the editing and encoding of 1080 footage that your doing.

First NMVe drives are not going to help at all. 500MB/s. SSD SATA drives will work fine and are a lot cheaper.

Second its true you will have to update the BIOS on any B/X 400 motherboard. If it doesnt have a flashback function where you dont need a CPU, you will need to have a previous gen cpu to flash it to Ryzen 3000 support. Also since all these motherboard have 16MB bios or smaller, many companies like MSi has opted to remove the Fancy graphical interface and go back to text based BIOs screens. Think 90s. Plus extra features like Raid has been removed to make room. So if your going Ryzen 3000, either prepare for a basic B450 mothebroard or get a X570.

Lastly, the 5700XT is comparable to a RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 Super. AMD is known for loud and hot run cards. These new NAVI cards with Blower fans run above 40db. You can bet you will hear it through headphones. Heavy undervolting will solve this, but than you are sacrificing some preformance. AMD is extemely slow at driver updates. Also the days of replacing the coolers with aftermarket ones are pretty much gone. Either you get a AIB card or you stick with the reference design. 

So since you are working with Premiere, I suggest NVIDIA for its CUDA supprt. On the off chance you do some heavy editing. Granted ive been using a Vega 64 for the last 2 weeks and haven't really noticed a differecne. But in not doing any serious. OpenCL is supported from Adobe, but its "less" supported if that makes sense.

I hope this help you decide. I do think Ryzen 3000 is a very good choice. If your trying to build a gaming and editing computer, you will have to compromise in the middle somewhere. If you are just editing. You shouldnt need to speed over 1k for a full computer. Even less you can reuse some parts.

2 hours ago, ir_cow said:

I think you are ovecompensating because you want a computer that will last 5-7 years and adding parts thar arent going make a difference at all for 1080 editing or encoding.

Many moons ago MP4 and 1080p footage was the bees knees and you needed a serious workstation to edit and render the footage. Not so much anymore.  1080 encoding started off as MPG2 and is now currently with MP4. Besides that the only progress in 10 years is HECV / H.265. With 1080 footage you get a 15-20% reduction in file size for the same quailty. It can save time for uploading. Just not many things support it for playback yet. So really besides uploading to YouTube its not that of a use. Plus it can take 10x longer to encode.

So since I assume you will be encoding MP4 footage for the foreseeable future (while on 1080 footage), you can save a lot of money that will have little to no affect on the editing and encoding of 1080 footage that your doing.

First NMVe drives are not going to help at all. 500MB/s. SSD SATA drives will work fine and are a lot cheaper.

Second its true you will have to update the BIOS on any B/X 400 motherboard. If it doesnt have a flashback function where you dont need a CPU, you will need to have a previous gen cpu to flash it to Ryzen 3000 support. Also since all these motherboard have 16MB bios or smaller, many companies like MSi has opted to remove the Fancy graphical interface and go back to text based BIOs screens. Think 90s. Plus extra features like Raid has been removed to make room. So if your going Ryzen 3000, either prepare for a basic B450 mothebroard or get a X570.

Lastly, the 5700XT is comparable to a RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 Super. AMD is known for loud and hot run cards. These new NAVI cards with Blower fans run above 40db. You can bet you will hear it through headphones. Heavy undervolting will solve this, but than you are sacrificing some preformance. AMD is extemely slow at driver updates. Also the days of replacing the coolers with aftermarket ones are pretty much gone. Either you get a AIB card or you stick with the reference design. 

So since you are working with Premiere, I suggest NVIDIA for its CUDA supprt. On the off chance you do some heavy editing. Granted ive been using a Vega 64 for the last 2 weeks and haven't really noticed a differecne. But in not doing any serious. OpenCL is supported from Adobe, but its "less" supported if that makes sense.

I hope this help you decide. I do think Ryzen 3000 is a very good choice. If your trying to build a gaming and editing computer, you will have to compromise in the middle somewhere. If you are just editing. You shouldnt need to speed over 1k for a full computer. Even less you can reuse some parts.

Lol, this is getting complicated haha!

Yeah I am mainly doing 1080p editing, nothing real serious, like I said, some AE effects here in there. I just want something that won't be outdated in 1 year or 2. I think the Ryzen 3xxx is a good choice too, what board to you suggest getting to not have the BIOS issues, I know you said the X570 but will I still have problems with that one too?

Also, I still can't make a solid decison on which GFX to get. It seems like the hype isn't up to par with the RTX series cards, some say the Turing GPUs aren't impressive for the price you pay...It's like I feel like just getting a 1080gtx and ending it there and if that's not enough, i'll just SLI it lol..

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $74.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard $369.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $161.99 @ Newegg Business
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card $399.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1420.86
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $1405.86
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-14 11:20 EDT-0400  

Im on my phone at work so bare with me. Couldnt make it. A single post....

So the list above is exactly what I wouls buy today if I wanted a gaming / editing computer. You have the ability to upgrade the CPU to a 16core in 2-3 years and for now that 8core matches pretty closely to intel 9900k for a lot of things. You do lose Intel Quick Sync, which does help a lot in encoding times (only MP4). But whats 1minute vs 5 minutes? Not a huge deal.

Ram - 32GB is only future proofing. I've had 64GB for years now. I rarely go above 32GB usage on projects. You might be able to get away with 16GB..but for $50 more you can go 32.

Video Card - Once again if you are just doing basic edits, wipes and disolves, you dont need a beefy video card. Honestly the RTX 2060 Super is over kill, but matched the RTX 2070 and AMD 5700XT. Im all for the cheaper better buy,  but NVIDIA has the market when it comes to GPU Acceleration with CUDA. Plus the card is much quieter. I would personally get a GTX 1660 Ti over a last gen 1080. First off you shouldnt pay more than $250 for a 1070 / 1080 USED. Buying new is not advised. $400-500 when you can get a RTX 2070 Super or 5700XT. Dont waste money on last gen. Plus SLI does nothing for editing. The second card stays idle...or crashes Premiere...consistently.

But if you gaming, it hard to balance the two out. Must sacrifice one for another, unless you want to overpay.

Motherboard - either you find a X470 /B460 that has a BIOS flash back fuction so that you can update the bios without a old cpu, or buy a X570. I choose the X570 for no other reason that its just convient. My top 3 are MSI ACE, Gigabyte Master or Asus Hero. They all cost $350, so I just picked one and went with a MSI theme.

5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Im on my phone at work so bare with me. Couldnt make it. A single post....

So the list above is exactly what I wouls buy today if I wanted a gaming / editing computer. You have the ability to upgrade the CPU to a 16core in 2-3 years and for now that 8core matches pretty closely to intel 9900k for a lot of things. You do lose Intel Quick Sync, which does help a lot in encoding times (only MP4). But whats 1minute vs 5 minutes? Not a huge deal.

Ram - 32GB is only future proofing. I've had 64GB for years now. I rarely go above 32GB usage on projects. You might be able to get away with 16GB..but for $50 more you can go 32.

Video Card - Once again if you are just doing basic edits, wipes and disolves, you dont need a beefy video card. Honestly the RTX 2060 Super is over kill, but matched the RTX 2070 and AMD 5700XT. Im all for the cheaper better buy,  but NVIDIA has the market when it comes to GPU Acceleration with CUDA. Plus the card is much quieter. I would personally get a GTX 1660 Ti over a last gen 1080. First off you shouldnt pay more than $250 for a 1070 / 1080 USED. Buying new is not advised. $400-500 when you can get a RTX 2070 Super or 5700XT. Dont waste money on last gen. Plus SLI does nothing for editing. The second card stays idle...or crashes Premiere...consistently.

But if you gaming, it hard to balance the two out. Must sacrifice one for another, unless you want to overpay.

Motherboard - either you find a X470 /B460 that has a BIOS flash back fuction so that you can update the bios without a old cpu, or buy a X570. I choose the X570 for no other reason that its just convient. My top 3 are MSI ACE, Gigabyte Master or Asus Hero. They all cost $350, so I just picked one and went with a MSI theme.

Awesome, I needed that reassurance lol, I might just go with that build, I believe it's good in every aspect of what I need, thanks a lot Cow!!!