Getting back into PC gaming! Need some help

Black64

Hello everyone! I have returned again, went though some rough stuff recently with work (working 60+ hours a week and other stuff) and I am finally back to PC building. I had to sell some of my gear but I have a Ryzen 5 1600, 8gb ram and a GTX 1050 Ti.

I am thinking of picking up a $300ish GTX 1080 on ebay, any reason not to?

Also looking at upgrading to some new powered monitors, any using the brand edifier?

hey Black64, welcome back !

...some things have changed but i'm pretty sure your Ryzen is still good, as is the ram and gtx1050ti... umm, i'm still using my 1080, and it does a remarkable job, but i'm not the most enlightened member out here... I think you'll be ok with what you have for now, to get going again.... hey take it easy over there !!

+1 Welcome Back!

I agree with cj, your current system sounds fine,.. and on upgrading your 1050 TI to a 1080 card would be a nice upgrade assuming your PSU is up for the task.

I'v heard of Edifier, they sell speakers & headphones, last I heard there AirPulse brand is top tier home theater audio, not sure about Edifier powered monitors.

The GTX 1080 is definitely a good card, though I am curious what resolution you are running at, or want to run at. If you are just doing 1920x1080, which the GTX 1080 is well more than is necessary, then I would be inclined to wait a bit with the 1050 Ti, at least to see if the Navi details at E3 prompt any price shifts on NVIDIA parts (though that may not impact Ebay prices). If you're doing 2560x1440, then I think the GTX 1080 is more appropriate (I think of it as a 1440p-class card), but waiting for E3 still might not be a bad idea. The GTX 1070 isn't as powerful as the 1080, but is also a very competent card so if that can save you some money, you may want to consider it.

Of course there are also AMD GPUs, in which case if you are going to be gaming at 1080, RX 580s have been appearing at good prices and it is a very solid option for that resolution. A month ago my RX Vega 64 was giving me problems so I had to RMA it and have had my RX 580 in my desktop. At times I can tell it is the slower card, but it still handles everything easily for me. Depending on the E3 Navi news the prices of Vega 56 and Vega 64 could come down, and both of those are also pretty good for 1440p. (Plus, if you like doing some tweaking, AMD drivers are so much better than NVIDIA's. Per-game WattMan overclocking and fan profiles, and Radeon Chill to reduce power, heat, and fan noise. I do enjoy such tweaking, so I'm probably going to try to keep to AMD GPUs for a while.) Another advantage right now with AMD GPUs, at least if purchased new, is they can come with a couple games; The Division 2 Gold Edition and World War Z.

I would wait until July 7th when all the AMD products drop (or so AMD said at Complex). Hopefully that will drive down the prices of NVIDIA. 

Nothing wrong with a GTX 1080 other than the high possibility it was used for mining. Same goes for the GTX 1070.

21 hours ago, cjloki said:

hey Black64, welcome back !

...some things have changed but i'm pretty sure your Ryzen is still good, as is the ram and gtx1050ti... umm, i'm still using my 1080, and it does a remarkable job, but i'm not the most enlightened member out here... I think you'll be ok with what you have for now, to get going again.... hey take it easy over there !!

Thanks,  I like the Ryzen plan  of being able to upgrade to a new CPU without swapping Mobos

19 hours ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

The GTX 1080 is definitely a good card, though I am curious what resolution you are running at, or want to run at. If you are just doing 1920x1080, which the GTX 1080 is well more than is necessary, then I would be inclined to wait a bit with the 1050 Ti, at least to see if the Navi details at E3 prompt any price shifts on NVIDIA parts (though that may not impact Ebay prices). If you're doing 2560x1440, then I think the GTX 1080 is more appropriate (I think of it as a 1440p-class card), but waiting for E3 still might not be a bad idea. The GTX 1070 isn't as powerful as the 1080, but is also a very competent card so if that can save you some money, you may want to consider it.

Of course there are also AMD GPUs, in which case if you are going to be gaming at 1080, RX 580s have been appearing at good prices and it is a very solid option for that resolution. A month ago my RX Vega 64 was giving me problems so I had to RMA it and have had my RX 580 in my desktop. At times I can tell it is the slower card, but it still handles everything easily for me. Depending on the E3 Navi news the prices of Vega 56 and Vega 64 could come down, and both of those are also pretty good for 1440p. (Plus, if you like doing some tweaking, AMD drivers are so much better than NVIDIA's. Per-game WattMan overclocking and fan profiles, and Radeon Chill to reduce power, heat, and fan noise. I do enjoy such tweaking, so I'm probably going to try to keep to AMD GPUs for a while.) Another advantage right now with AMD GPUs, at least if purchased new, is they can come with a couple games; The Division 2 Gold Edition and World War Z.

I was 1080, but I am now at 2560x1080, at 1080 my 1050 had no issues, but at 2560, low settings it is...

1 hour ago, Black64 said:

I was 1080, but I am now at 2560x1080, at 1080 my 1050 had no issues, but at 2560, low settings it is...

Kind of separate, but it occurs to me it may be interesting to try investigating the performance impact of ultra-wide aspect ratios, since they likely require the rendering of more assets than higher resolutions. (I would think higher resolutions keep the same view frustum and increase the sampling frequency while ultra-wide increases the size of the frustum, so more assets are in the scene.) Maybe I'll figure out a way to try that experiment, after I finish up some other projects. (A larger frustum may also need more VRAM too, as fewer assets would be culled, meaning more needs to be in memory and worked on.

Anyway, because it's ultra-wide, I could believe something on the order of a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 (also RX Vega 56 and Vega 64) would be desirable. I could believe an RX 580, and therefore maybe a GTX 1060 (6 GB), could handle it because while a 1080p class card, the RX 580 seems capable of punching to 1440p in some cases.

10 hours ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

Kind of separate, but it occurs to me it may be interesting to try investigating the performance impact of ultra-wide aspect ratios, since they likely require the rendering of more assets than higher resolutions. (I would think higher resolutions keep the same view frustum and increase the sampling frequency while ultra-wide increases the size of the frustum, so more assets are in the scene.) Maybe I'll figure out a way to try that experiment, after I finish up some other projects. (A larger frustum may also need more VRAM too, as fewer assets would be culled, meaning more needs to be in memory and worked on.

Anyway, because it's ultra-wide, I could believe something on the order of a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 (also RX Vega 56 and Vega 64) would be desirable. I could believe an RX 580, and therefore maybe a GTX 1060 (6 GB), could handle it because while a 1080p class card, the RX 580 seems capable of punching to 1440p in some cases.

After owning an ultrawide I can never go back to regular screen again.

I can believe it, but at least ultra wide is a thing you can still get. I don't know of anyway I could replace my 2048x1152 monitor, but it is so nice to be able to have a full 1920x1080 window with room to spare, so it will need to actually die for me to try replacing it.

Whelp, I just bought a GTX 1080 off ebay for $330 and 16GB or ram and a new set of speakers. Can't wait to gaming at ultra settings again!

I think my 1600 should be fine for a few years yet?

Oh yeah that Ryzen 5 is still good. Plus since its AM4 socket, you can always upgrade as people dump those 1700x /2700x chips for the new Ryzen Zen 2.