Water pump fast and slow

Cespenar

Hi folks, How are you all? Still 'puting?

I ran Hardware Monitor and played Elite Dangerous Horizons.

My water pump is EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM Pump bought recently to replace my old TT500.

The speed of the pump is from 1214rpm to 2513rpm.

The power is the old 4 pin peripheral plug. The cpu fan header is 4 pin, but the wires to it are only two. So it can't be PWM.

I did wonder if the pump has a built in PWM.

Got any ideas people?

Another thing, FYI, I stopped one fan of my 360 rad and made no difference to the H/W/monitor temps.

To maybe clear up what you're seeing, the 4pin direct to your PSU gives the pump power, and the internal circuit in the pump varies the speed based on the PWN signal from the motherboard header.  As it's not drawing any power from the board it doesn't need the other wires.   You should be able to adjust the pump speed in BIOS or software that came with your motherboard by controlling that CPU fan header in PWM mode (some boards may default to the old 3 pin style so you may need to manually a PWM setting for that header. 

No, you were helpful. I checked the plug and it has 2 wires to the board, and 2 spare holes.

I obviously can't move the plug like a three pin plug, so PWM must definitely be working.

CChalogamer is probably right. I was just in the BIOS but didn't think of that. What I did was put 2x8 gig ram added to my 2x8 gig ram. Didn't work. Different brand. CPU-Z could not see it either. So it went back in my son's replaced tower.

Thank you muchly. :thx:

• 6 months later...

Just hoping for the best for you!

For low loads and low temps not all fans are needed, but use them all in high loads and high temps.

Cars are the same, one fan always runs and the second kicks in with high loads.