GPU temperature influence CPU cooler

mihgeo

Hi boys,i have LGA-1155,gtx 750,i5-3570...
When play game or only GPU stress with msi kombustor or furmark(only 10 minutes) my CPU up rpm cooler 2000rpm to over 2500rmp (with cpu only max usage 50% temp cpu~56C)
But when use only Intel burn test or Prime 95(without Gpu) temp CPU over 75C and cpu cooler only 2000rpm!!
i view bios and cpu fan is auto 2000rpm,if put 100% fan is idem 2000rpm,rpm fan CPU up only use GPU!
this problem is not normal this is bug bios?

• 3 months later...

Absolutely the GPU temperature can influence your CPU temperature, especially when running GPU stress tests.  From the physics standpoint............ heat rises, so when you're busting your GPU with a stress test the heat from the GPU rises (assuming that your case is in a standard configuration).  That heat rises right into the CPU cooler (assuming that you're running an air cooling solution on the CPU).  Then at some point the entire interior of your case is heat soaked from the GPU stress test and overcomes the ability of the case to exhaust that hot air.

Think of it like this......... if you take a frozen bottle of water and place it into a 180 degree box, the interior of the box may get a little cooler, but your ice water is going to melt regardless.

Most GPU card cooling solutions cannot exhaust all of the heat generated out the back of the case, so it has to go somewhere.  And even when you're running a GPU stress test your CPU isn't sitting there totally idle so it's generating heat of it's own as well.

I use a laser infrared thermometer to check my motherboard and hardware temps,.. with a pair of 1080 Ti FE cards Folding the exhaust air blowing out the back is 136 degrees fahrenheit,.. 

Edited by Braegnok

• 3 months later...

One solution I used to help my situation when I was using a trio of gtx480's was to place an exhaust fan on the case side right next to the rear of the GPU stack.

This actually helped quite a bit because it pulled much of the heat away from the video cards instead of allowing it to rise.

I think all cards were ten C' cooling with the fan in place. It wasn't anything crazy. Just a typical 1400 rpm sub 60 cfm fan. But it helped a ton.

But to answer your question on why the CPU fan is behaving that way it may be due to the bios fan control programming. Such as if it has a light load but can sense a lot of heat in the remainder of the components. If its detecting a high temp on the board one of its conditions may be to max the cpu cooler to prevent others from overheating.

• 1 month later...