what are the best file lockers for the PC?

AronRaynott

i am using windows 7 and i need to lock some files. so  i started googling to download some apps but those are not functioning properly. even i am finding them difficult to install. provide me with some suggestions and sources. thank you...

I'm running Windows 10 and use Folder Lock full version cost $39.99,.. you can install free 30-day trial version and see how it works with W7. http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/

Im not really a windows user anymore, so I could be wrong, but, couldnt he just change the file/folder permissions?

Or if password protection is what he wants, make a password protected folder?

What are the pros of downloading software to do it? encryption?

You can use Windows to password protect files, folders and drives sure,.. but not for quickly encrypting files on-the-fly, and shredding files like a file locker software does. 

I use veracrypt for portable hard drives

but its not the most user friendly

however, it is not run by some big company that the government has their hands in

not that I have anything to hide, but I am sure the FBI and NSA have easy access to open bitlocker and other microsoft products 

The NSA says they don't have a backdoor to bitlocker but since it uses a known AES 128 encryption style, it is much easier to target knowing what is used to decrypted it in the first place. The great thing about TrueCrypt and now VeraCrypt is you can picked whatever encryption you like and even remove the header so unless you know the password and type of encryption ahead of time, its like shooting in the dark for a decrypter since its random jibbles of hex numbers to an on looker  without an up or down and starting point.

I use to encrypted my drives (for kicks) with those schemes. It makes selling a drive used way easier since you cannot recovery the data. It would take 100 years to cracked it by shooting in the dark with a random 15 character 256 key. I'm not sure how true this is but I was told the FBI (or whoever) cannot hold you / personally stuff for more than 2 months without providing evidence against you. Aka the encrypted drive they have no clue what is really on it.

Some lady back in 2009 got caught in some money laundering sting, but because the drive that held the records was fully encrypted they have no hard evidence after the raid and let her go.

Hopefully you are hiding normal stuff from malware and hackers rather than breaking the law.

Since 2010 but announced in 2015 the government has had the ability to instantly extract the encryption keys used by BitLocker and thus decrypt privet data stored on Windows computers. By targeting the TPM chips that are used to store the encryption keys. https://theintercept.com/document/2015/03/10/tpm-vulnerabilities-power-analysis-exposed-exploit-bitlocker/

EFDD Tool : https://www.elcomsoft.com/efdd.html

Edited by Braegnok