Video Capture & Edit Guide

Bosco

If people want to edit capture video easier and is serious about Let's Plays and video editing in general, Adobe Creative Cloud is a good source. Adobe is very cheap now since its a monthly subscription. I'm still using my CS5.5 copy and nothing has really changed in Premiere for basic editing for 4-5 years now. You can also pick up a used copy of an old premiere and have the same results as the cloud. The difference is the Cloud has the newest updates for advance users.

Also Handbrake is free and very good at encoding if you have a video in the wrong format or your free software only outputs MPEG2 or something not commonly used anymore.

I am having trouble finding this info. But what is the difference between XAVC S HD vs AVCHD?

Okay, I'm not really all that familiar with the intricate differences between codecs and their different levels, so I asked my dad who is more so. Also Google. Both XAVC and AVCHD are part of the AVC/h.264 codec, with XAVC being the highest level (5.2) and thus also the most capable (Wikipedia lists it as being able to support 4K@60, and no other level of AVC can). It also supports the highest AVC bitrate. It looks like AVCHD might be level 4.0-4.2 AVC (it isn't stated explicitly that I can see) which support up 1080@60.

So I guess the differences are XAVC is newer and technically better, but it also is going to have the least support for now, while AVCHD is older and better supported, but does not support much above 1080.

I hope that helps, if only because I'm not sure what more I can say without having to find textbooks.

I am having trouble finding this info. But what is the difference between XAVC S HD vs AVCHD?

In short AVCHD is MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 (Base Level 4.0) that most camcorders use these days and the standard supported format for 1080p / Blu-Ray.  XAVC S HD is a variant of  H.264 but with some extra bells in the coding for better 4k support. It is not widely supported but still in the H.264 family. So if your software is all up to date the support for XAVC S HD (H.264 Level 5.2) should be present. though most playback devices that aren't 4k might not even support it since its not commonly used for 1080p.

Hope that helps.

I am inept! Can anyone help me with this? I'm looking to make a .gif out of Jerry nodding at Brent. It's about a ten second clip, and happens at 6:26-6:35. Or even maybe the 2nd half is even better like 6:32 - 6:35. Help me boss!

FFS the video: Why can't I link the video!?

I am inept! Can anyone help me with this? I'm looking to make a .gif out of Jerry nodding at Brent. It's about a ten second clip, and happens at 6:26-6:35. Or even maybe the 2nd half is even better like 6:32 - 6:35. Help me boss!

FFS the video: Why can't I link the video!?

If you already have the video cut, which you can use what I describe in the guide for, then you can use this code put this code in a batch file and drag-and-drop away:

@echo off
set rate=10
set filter=scale="min(iw\,640):-1:flags=lanczos"

ffmpeg -i "%~1" -vf %filter%,palettegen=stats_mode=diff -y palette.png
ffmpeg -i "%~1" -i palette.png -lavfi %filter%,paletteuse -r %rate% "%~n1.gif"

del palette.png

Change the rate if you need/want a higher framerate, and the 640 can be changed if you want a larger or smaller image.

That first FFmpeg command creates a customer palette for the gif to use. It helps a lot with making the gif look good because the default palette does not always contain all of the colors the source video uses. Don't need it when you're done though, which is why the last command is to delete it.