Guys we need to talk...

lucio

Overclocking a cpu in theory will give faster fps as the cpu is processing more instructions per second. However as others have noted it depends what is limiting your specific game.

I run my gaming rig at 4.5GHz and some games like Metro 2033 for example do not show improved fps over default 3.5GHz,.. the same in Just Cause 2. However Crysis benefits from overclocking as it seems to need plenty of cpu power as well as gpu. Some of the strategy games such as the Total War Series seem to benefit a lot from cpu overclocks. However much depends on the balance of your system. 

If you have a vary weak gpu overclocking the cpu won't do much - you really need a powerful gpu to reap any benefits.

Edited by Braegnok

We could go in depth, but I think it's all a moot point. Overclocking is free, even if it doesn't help in any of the games that said person plays, then it will obviously help in any compute tasks used by the CPU. Higher overclocking usually entails a better CPU cooler, better TIM, and sometimes a better PSU and sometimes delidding. Better/other CPU's and Motherboards also have a stake in higher overclocks, but not always. Price/worth is relative.

OK, on a more serious note I'm running a low to mid end gpu,  when I OC my 2600k I can gain10 to 15 fps on my minimum fps on certain games which can mean a difference of going from medium settings to high settings. So.... from personal experience, yes ,oc'ing the cpu dose help improve frame rates plus it helps the games load faster which is also a bonus.

So to answer his first post, IMHO, yes it is worth it to oc your cpu. ( Unless you have that $1000 cpu, which means there will be no need to) :teehee:

thanks for you response guys

finally XD was really confused

Bit late to the party, but just wanted to offer my 2 cents. :D

Performance gains are extremely dependent on how the game is coded. CPU bound games, will definitely not see any improvements if you OC your GPU, and vice versa.

Perhaps the person who claimed this was playing a mostly GPU bound game, and only OC'd their CPU. Who knows, but it's safe to say that without understanding the game you are benchmarking against, you could draw false conclusions as to the benefits of OC. And also, 'OC' could be 5 extra Mhz to your GPU Core, or even +1 to your CPU Multiplier. In those minute cases, you can't expect significant changes.

I like to take my i7-2600k, which can OC up to 4.6Ghz. Now that was a substantial OC, and I could definitely see the benefits for games that relied heavily on the CPU.

Again it's not a cut and dry, yes or no answer, it's all about how the game is coded, and what amount of OC we are talking about. The saddest thing about OC is that we are at the mercy of the bin, if you get a good chip, you'll go far, but if you end up with a bad chip, you could be stuck with stock speeds only. My friend bought a 4770k a while back, and he was definitely unlucky, with tons of testing we never even managed to get it stable with a simple +1 to the multiplier. :(

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble a bit, so I hope this helped, although you already seemed happy with the pages of feedback. :D

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Overclocking, as it is done today, has a mininal impact on the gaming experience. While it looks good in benchmarks the actual impact on the game play experience is hard to find. Part of the reason for this is the focus on overclocking products being higher end products. The parts already push the gaming experience well with their stock speeds. The parts that would benefit most from overclocking, budget parts, often are locked down or not focused on by the "enthusiast community".

I have actually had this conversation with a few "pro" overclockers and they agree that for gaming the benefits of overclocking are not all that noticeable. However in the professional world, specifically thinks like high end rendering, the difference of even mild overclocks can be a big deal. Take a video game running at 70 FPS and add 10% or 7 FPS and the gamer would be hard pressed to notice it at all unless they run a frame rate counter all the time and watch it more than play the game. However take a companying doing a render that takes 48 hours and give that system a 10% boost, the same job now takes a 43.2 hours and that savings means other projects can be gotten to as much as 3 to 4 hours quicker. The impact actually does effect the work experience.

Overclocking for the fun of doing so is awesome, get a little free extra kick from your system. Overclocking seriously for fun can be a great hobby, the time put in for custom cooling loops and heavy system modifications can be a great deal of fun for some people. However overclocking to improve the game experience, on the higher end, unlocked parts, is not going to have an impact worth the effort on the game play experience.

There was a time where it offered up significant gains in performance. Its why most of us started down this path a while ago. Now we get Turbo Boost clocks on the CPU and Boost clocks on the GPU that kind of do it automatically in the background for us when you get down to it. The manufacturers in essence gave us what we were after and now here we sit with products that friggin rock right out of the gate. Sometimes there really is not much of an overclocking margin left in the hardware without really throwing the screws to it.

Those parts are not always as cost friendly as we would like but they are there and do well for the most part when you are gaming.

As Ed said its a tougher sell and does not always give the kick expected when you talk about the experience. Overclocking may not give you the magical 25% improvement in FPS but if you can move the visual quality sliders up a notch while staying static on the FPS count that still is a win. 

Overclocking does pay dividends when you are running distributed computing projects such as F@H or doing actual rendering work.

Ed, I remember looking at quite a bit of Sapphire's product stack over the years and factory overclocked and cooled cards are there for a reason......We want them!  :cheers:

It just becomes a point of difference. A 10 to 20Mhz bump over a baseline core clock speed on a factory overclocked card really is not going to impact experience any longer. There was a time but it has past.

My tastes are a better looking game without blistering FPS. Although my favorite game is one that plays well at 60 to 90 FPS.  

Thanks to Freesync and Gsync you can lower that to a a range around 60 and the experience is outstanding.

I agree about the speeds, the speed bumps we see now are more for a spec check list than a real sales point.

Instead of core speed the most important points for buying a card is the quality of build and the cooling solution. You want a card that is cool and quiet as well as stable. Forgive the sales picth but that was the goal with the Nitro lineup. We might not have the highest out of the box clock speds but they all come with Balck Diamond Chokes, high enduance solid capacitors and one of the most effecient and questiest coolers you can get. Plus the fans are all dual abll bearing designed for longevity and quiet operation. We focused on the quality of the build rathewr than adding an extra 10 MHz :-)

Well, that's a bummer, ugh I thought most of you were gamers and overclocking was like upgrading your pc

They're all just kidding. :)

seriously? because I asked somebody who sells this and he said only the graphic card does make difference if your gaming

That's a game and hardware dependent answer. Yes. Over clocking helps games. In more ways then just video.