OCC dead?

lucio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I've been away for a few years. I'm finally just about a week and a half away from graduating college; It's been quite the journey. I simply haven't had time to be here like I had been in the past.

For those that say that the PC or PC gaming is dying, keep in mind that technological limitations up until a few years ago had people buying PCs who wouldn't otherwise simply because tech better suited for them simply didn't exist. And if you have a PC for non-gaming uses, there's a reason to buy video games: you have a PC. Consoles were/are the opposite: you buy a console to game. Now that you can buy a phone and have it do all the same basic functions that an entry-level computer can do, phones eliminate the need to have big boxes that need to be tinkered with.

For me, the rise of the smartphone was a bit of a surprise -- though I knew the tech could be shrunk, having it in your phone was something I never saw, especially with how thin they are and how powerful they are in comparison. Sometimes, when I look at my Note 4, I do feel a bit like I'm living in the future. But the effects of smartphones was not at all a surprise to me: once smaller, more mobile tech came along, people who really shouldn't be spending money on big boxes just to check their email and other non-compute-intensive activities no longer had to. The end result of this is that the PC market is shifting back to the demographics it really catered to all along: those who need PCs for their power and flexibility, and those who choose PCs for higher-end gaming. I do fully expect the PC market to stabilize, if it hasn't already. Barring, of course, effects of the economy.

The end result of this, is that those who continue to use PCs outside of work, will naturally tend to be better able to work on their own computers, or have a friendly shop/friend to help bridge the knowledge gap that they may encounter if any issues arise. What Bosco said about the overclocking scene is also spot-on: while even Intel has adopted this to some degree, those who continue to do so generally could be writing articles here, rather than coming here for questions. Or just Google search the issue.

If you're looking for a TL;DR, it's this: OCC hit its heyday at the right time, and was a great resource for many people. With new technology, however, and many people's needs having shifted, a new sort of obsolescence is being created for websites of this type. While we shouldn't forget the core of what this site is for, an adjustment may be needed to keep this site from becoming a semi-useful relic. The great question, then, is how?

EDIT: I apologize for the wall of text. I ended up writing way more than I had intended.

Edited by the11ama

shit now I need two wuttt

Posting in the lounge doesn't add to post count, but unfortunately it does count as your 1 post for the day! Definitely sucked getting to 10 lol.