MOBO/CPU/RAM Upgrade for a friend

I'm helping a co-worker fix a build he started a few weeks back. Needless to say one of his friends guided him in the wrong direction  and instructed him to purchase LGA 1156 CPU/MOBO/garbage RAM off amazon/ebay for his new build. The motherboard was bought used, and had all the serial numbers scratched off :doh: . Him and his buddy couldn't get it to boot (no surprise). Now, I've tested all of his components including PSU/HDD/SSD/GPU, all work and will be fine with any type of build. I told him he should go with current gen or whatever his budget would allow, as he only wants to play games and is relatively new to PC's and PC gaming. 

I'm currently looking at this combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1739932

I'm open to all suggestions. Even maybe an AMD build, but I wanna make sure he has something nice since he actually dumped a lot of money on some really crummy parts. Thanks guys.

That's a pretty good deal for new. If you're not delidding, don't expect to overclock it very high unless you've got a really good CPU cooler (so, add $55 to the build). A shame most Z77 motherboards are hard to find less than $100, plenty of good delidded 3570K's going for ~$150 sometimes. A $25 Hyper 212+ can keep it good up to 4.8GHz depending on voltage.

Yeah, I've noticed previous gen motherboards tend to spike in price once newer CPUs roll out. Poor guy was duped into buying a new I7 870 only to find out the motherboard prices are insane for old tech. 

I just built my parents rig in an gigabyte b6 sniper on the H81 chipset and it does allow for multiplier based overclocking and according to reviews is a very good overclocker. No bclock adjustment but whatever.

The board manufacturers or at least gigabyte seem to be ignoring intels rules that only "Z" motherboards can overclock if it means anything to ya.

I would be interested in buying that 1156 i7 off of you/him if the price is right.

If you want a good deal on used, just let me know.

^ Nice, never knew about the H81 being able to overclock.

Also, you could use Z87 motherboards for Devil's Canyon CPU's (just check the MB for BIOS updates that will support it). If you're not going to use the special features that Z97 motherboards provide (like M.2 SSD's, Wi-Fi ac, USB 3.1, etc.), then that could help save money as well.

I meant B85 my bad.

Not all of them can and it doesn't seem like many manufactures list support for it in the advertising but many chipset other than the Zs can. It is weird.

The Kit Mythos posted or the one you found would be great. I would add a second stick of ram to benefit from using dual channels but Either way will be a good start to a new build. That or run Mythos's post. Mushkin ram is awesome.

As far as an AMD build. I wouldn't. But that is me.

I would be interested in buying that 1156 i7 off of you/him if the price is right.

I don't know what he plans on doing with the I7 870. I doubt he'd know what to do with it, but I'll definitely suggest it to him and keep you updated.

If he is a pretty casual gamer an FM2 Athlon quad core or a FX6300 probably would suffice if he is looking to go fairly cheap. I didn't see a GPU listed but I seriously doubt an amd chip with a good overclock would be a bottleneck for anything but a very high end card for most games.

If he is a pretty casual gamer an FM2 Athlon quad core or a FX6300 probably would suffice if he is looking to go fairly cheap. I didn't see a GPU listed but I seriously doubt an amd chip with a good overclock would be a bottleneck for anything but a very high end card for most g

I decided to sell him my X4 965/990FX-UD3 combo for $100 and told him to buy an 8GB Crucial kit for $55. After dropping $400 on an outdated CPU/MOBO combo and the games he'd like to play (Diablo 3, LOL, Borderlands 2) I figured this would be a viable, less expensive alternative. What do you guys think?

It should work fine, if he ever wants more power a 8320 should drop right in that board with a bios update. Have him sell the 870 and use the money for the ram.