GTX 970 vs something older (or maybe AMD)

Cool. I think I'm still going to get it then. I'm not terribly concerned with it being 3.5GB, I just didn't know how much it would affect performance if i was expecting to play one of the newer, texture heavy games like CoD.

And jdm, I've thought about getting the R9 290, but I've been an nVidia guy all my life and old habits die hard. I'm not arguing performance, just personal preference. lol

• Like 1

Been away for a while but I'm back with a question. I'm currently rocking a GTX 460 that I got when the 600 series was coming out. With all these new AAA games coming out with stupid texture memory requirements (COD, Shadow of Mordor, etc) my 460 just can't keep up anymore.

I was thinking about buying a new 970 since nVidia pushed their new tech with it, but I'm not sure if the $350 price tag on this EVGA or Gigabyte is worth it, or if I should just go with something slightly older with 3-4GB of VRAM. I've never used AMD/ATI but I'm open to suggestions if the price/performance is decent.

I can, without reservation, whole-heartedly reccomend the GTX660.  My new rig that I just built is a it 4690K and GTX660, and so far I haven't encountered a game yet I can't run on "high" or "ultra" settings.  In fact, according to Asus GPU Tweak's hardware monitor... My GPU Useage never goes above 50%.

Games I play on ultra settings:

Planetside 2

Battlefield 4

CS:GO

Rust

DayZ

H1Z1

ArcheAge Online

Cool. I think I'm still going to get it then. I'm not terribly concerned with it being 3.5GB, I just didn't know how much it would affect performance if i was expecting to play one of the newer, texture heavy games like CoD.

And jdm, I've thought about getting the R9 290, but I've been an nVidia guy all my life and old habits die hard. I'm not arguing performance, just personal preference. lol

i can repect that 

I can, without reservation, whole-heartedly reccomend the GTX660.  My new rig that I just built is a it 4690K and GTX660, and so far I haven't encountered a game yet I can't run on "high" or "ultra" settings.  In fact, according to Asus GPU Tweak's hardware monitor... My GPU Useage never goes above 50%.

What size vram do you have?

Box says 2gb...  But dxdiag tells me 4gb...  Maybe because it's ddr5?  I dunno, not a memory expert by far... I just knows what I likes :P

Box says 2gb...  But dxdiag tells me 4gb...  Maybe because it's ddr5?  I dunno, not a memory expert by far... I just knows what I likes :P

More than likely that's shared system RAM bumping it to 4GB.

Running GTX 970 SLI at 1440p 96 Hz. Getting roughly 100+ FPS in Heroes & Generals (maxed) and BF4 (high no AA). Granted I'm not playing any of the new releases. I'd expect a GTX 970 do wonders on 1080p.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Running GTX 970 SLI at 1440p 96 Hz. Getting roughly 100+ FPS in Heroes & Generals (maxed) and BF4 (high no AA). Granted I'm not playing any of the new releases. I'd expect a GTX 970 do wonders on 1080p.

+1, I wouldn't mind one for runnin' my 1600p monitor (at 60Hz fancy pants), but my 7970 is doing PREHHHHHTY well!

Should be here the 17th. I just started playing Tomb Raider (2013), I'm excited to be able to turn the Hair settings to TressFX and not drop my FPS from 60 to 30. lol. Oh, and the whole "Ultra" thing too.

I tried playing Advanced Warfare on my 460 when it first came out...had to set the internal res to something like 864x486 just to run at 20fps; looked terrible, I immediately quit.

Should be here the 17th. I just started playing Tomb Raider (2013), I'm excited to be able to turn the Hair settings to TressFX and not drop my FPS from 60 to 30. lol. Oh, and the whole "Ultra" thing too.

I tried playing Advanced Warfare on my 460 when it first came out...had to set the internal res to something like 864x486 just to run at 20fps; looked terrible, I immediately quit.

Yeah I nearly could max TR...but I do believe I also turned off the Tress Hair, I ran it on 1920x1200 no problem though and it was great but I loved the added resolution more! Wouldn't mind both though haha