Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition Reviewed

Bosco

Oh it's a good case...but it's pink. :lol:

Chicks dig it LOL! Not all but mine does. 

I agree it was a nice case. I do still find it funny how it was sent to me for review. 

I still think sending it to you would have been funnier. Though it was well worth the hits for the site no matter. ROFL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, the CPU arena is getting out-progressed. Even with more CPU Cores and efficient overclocking, there's almost no point in getting this CPU.

• For gaming, most PC games don't support more than dual SLI or Crossfire (if even that, especially console ports). Even with 4 R9 290X's in Quadfire, games that support it don't show additional benefit over Trifire (sometimes it's worse). Plus, the extra FPS is only beneficial if you're trying to play a game at 4K resolutions at 60Hz, or 1440P at 120Hz. If that's the case, 2 R9 290X's in Crossfire is all you really need. You don't need an Extreme setup for that. An old i5-2500K on an LGA 1155 setup can handle that.
  • For image and video work, almost all the best software programs have already moved towards hardware acceleration using CUDA or OpenCL. There's no real benefit to using the CPU for raw processing anymore when everything can done by the GPU.

I really can't think of any reason for getting any Extreme setup (and I have an i7 980X and i7 3930K), except to have more available memory (having 64GB memory over 32GB memory).

Edited by El_Capitan

So far, the CPU arena is getting out-progressed. Even with more CPU Cores and efficient overclocking, there's almost no point in getting this CPU.

• For gaming, most PC games don't support more than dual SLI or Crossfire (if even that, especially console ports). Even with 4 R9 290X's in Quadfire, games that support it don't show additional benefit over Trifire (sometimes it's worse). Plus, the extra FPS is only beneficial if you're trying to play a game at 4K resolutions at 60Hz, or 1440P at 120Hz. If that's the case, 2 R9 290X's in Crossfire is all you really need. You don't need an Extreme setup for that. An old i5-2500K on an LGA 1155 setup can handle that.
  • For image and video work, almost all the best software programs have already moved towards hardware acceleration using CUDA or OpenCL. There's no real benefit to using the CPU for raw processing anymore when everything can done by the GPU.

I really can't think of any reason for getting any Extreme setup (and I have an i7 980X and i7 3930K), except to have more available memory (having 64GB memory over 32GB memory).

Maybe they want to shave a few seconds off each video in a batch video converting :lol: but yeah... :withstupid: