looking into new video card

rieds

i have a few questions about video cards. if im going to overclock does the version of the card effect how well it overclocks? say im looking at a gtx 570. the classified version wont overclock any further than the standard version will it? also when i look at benchmarks on the passmark page it doesnt show the memory size. does a 2gb card benchmark higher than a 1gb card? 

Different manufacturers do matter if you are looking at overclocking performance.

The reason being is that  the cooling solution of the reference cards are usually pretty bad if you want to overclock compared to, let's say, an ASUS DirectCU II cooling solution.

Temperatures decide how well a card can overclock 99% of the time.

If the card runs too hot, you will be limited to what you can achieve with the card.

A custom PCB will also be a part of what the card can handle and most reference cards have a standard PCB, but third party manufacturers make custom PCB's to make sure the customer gets the best they can offer.

Most of the time third party manufacturers will also use higher quality parts for the cards they produce.

Regarding memory, it all depend on what resolution you want to play your games at.

A 1 GB card will be sufficient if you are playing at resolutions of 1280x720, but if you want to play at 1920x1080 for example a 2+gb card is recommended.

Many games will need more Vram as time passes and getting a 1GB card now would not benefit you in the long run.

To help you, we need a bit more information of your needs.

What games do you want to play? What budget do you have?

You get the idea. :P

^+1

Higher factory overclocked cards merely guarantee certain minimum clocks but sometimes the lower clocked ones can end up doing better in the end. It's all luck of the draw...more Vram is always better all other things equal (unless to they ruin the bus to have more memory, sometimes that ruins the effectiveness.... like those gimped 460 1GBs they had before)

So yeah....how much do you have to spend max, what's your resolution, and any particular games are looking to make playable? :)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If you allow me to ask in your thread..

"why gtx680 cost double than gtx760????????????"

I just don't get it.. I looked at specs and 760 looks better and is higher number also

If you allow me to ask in your thread..

"why gtx680 cost double than gtx760????????????"

I just don't get it.. I looked at specs and 760 looks better and is higher number also

When you think of GTX 760 think of GTX 660Ti not GTX 680. THe GTX 770 is more in line with what the GTX 680 is.  

First overclocking is not  guaranteed. On factory overclocked cards you get a better binned supposedly chips with better tolerances but really unless the company selling the card takes the time to specifically bin the cores then you get the luck of the draw. XFX does what they call GPU edging that is their binning process. 

Buy the best card you can afford with the best cooling. There is nothing really per say wrong with s reference card except most (not all)of them are noisy.

^ ahh too bad those numbers are confusing.. a 680 is like $7000-8000 jajajajajajajajajajaajajaj (not dollars but is very expensive).. I paid my whole machine $7500 with a 460gtx 3 years ago now inflation went to hell buy hardware is BOOM extremely expensive.. holy god

or maybe 680 is way too good

770 is around $6000 .. I don't see why 680 (OLD) is so expensive.. maybe it's dual core like the old gtx295

Edited by Fragsman

For the OP If I had to buy a card right now I'd go for the 760 gtx (or 660Ti for less money). I always used Nvidia except for my laptop but is not for gaming.

Edited by Fragsman

^ ahh too bad those numbers are confusing.. a 680 is like $7000-8000 jajajajajajajajajajaajajaj (not dollars but is very expensive).. I paid my whole machine $7500 with a 460gtx 3 years ago now inflation went to hell buy hardware is BOOM extremely expensive.. holy god

or maybe 680 is way too good

770 is around $6000 .. I don't see why 680 (OLD) is so expensive.. maybe it's dual core like the old gtx295

The gtx 770 is a re-branded gtx 680 with increased clock speeds.

The gtx680 is not a dual-card solution, just a regular single-card solution.