Chromecast

kennethk

It's going for about $30 now, may get it as a xmas gift. Was wondering if anyone else here ever uses it. I watch youtube alot so I think I'll enjoy being able to mirror over my youtube videos while being able to control the audio with my phone.

Let me know how it is.

My dad has been asking me about it. He doesn't really care about YouTube, but HBO Go offers a lot more than HBO On Demand. I'm just concerned about the quality since it has to stream from a PC/tablet over WiFi. It does seem like a nice alternative to a SmartTV though.

Let me know how it is.

My dad has been asking me about it. He doesn't really care about YouTube, but HBO Go offers a lot more than HBO On Demand. I'm just concerned about the quality since it has to stream from a PC/tablet over WiFi. It does seem like a nice alternative to a SmartTV though.

The quality from what I know only streams 720p but that'll probably be fixed soon.

I just got one myself. I have been using it the last 2 days.

Works pretty well. If you install the Chromecast extension in your Chrome browser you can hit Ctrl+O and open up video/music/etc files on your PC through Chrome and send it over to the TV.

You can sort of get Amazon Instant video to work but you need to type chrome://plugins/ and disable Silverlight so Amazon Instant videos open up in Flash instead then those can be sent to your TV.

I have had mixed results.. Sometimes it is super laggy and other times it works flawlessly (on Amazon Instant Video that is).

I also picked up and installed an app called Avia on my phone. It allows you to stream any media on your phone to your TV. It also links to  your Dropbox, FB, and Picasa (if anyone even uses that).

It is a free app but for $2.99 you can get it ad free. Which I ended up just doing out of the gate cuz $3 bucks ain't no thang.

I got really lucky too I have USB on my TV.. I was kind of dreading hooking the Chromecast up and running a power wire to the outlet. 

1512386_10201966707522621_619331918_n.jpg 1477419_10201966681361967_1212037543_n.jpg

Yeah needs external power. I was under the assumption HDMI had a voltage, but apparently it is either not enough or it just does not.

It needs what I assume to be a 5v source. USB or it comes with a power cable.

My friend has it and we used it last night to watch to Watch archer off of her netflix app on her phone to her TV. Pretty neat.

You're saying you can run any video you want streamed to it?? She was saying it's only official stuff like Netflix, HBOGO etc.

My friend has it and we used it last night to watch to Watch archer off of her netflix app on her phone to her TV. Pretty neat.

You're saying you can run any video you want streamed to it?? She was saying it's only official stuff like Netflix, HBOGO etc.

You can run it to stream mp4s from your pc but its not really worth it. All it is is a mirroring device not a full out media player that can run xbmc, I mean it might be possible if someone takes the time to hack it but really its main purpose is to be able to watch content from your smartphone such as youtube onto your hdtv.

You can run it to stream mp4s from your pc but its not really worth it. All it is is a mirroring device not a full out media player that can run xbmc, I mean it might be possible if someone takes the time to hack it but really its main purpose is to be able to watch content from your smartphone such as youtube onto your hdtv.

Well I already have an HTPC but it cannot handle uncompressed/ripped BluRay movies. It does everything else fine, though it's very minor and rare I need that function so I'll probably just stick with what I have.

Well I already have an HTPC but it cannot handle uncompressed/ripped BluRay movies. It does everything else fine, though it's very minor and rare I need that function so I'll probably just stick with what I have.

720p is fine for streaming content dont be a quality whore :P