Upgrade older computer

Rankiz

So I have a computer with this motherboard, but suddenly it just started to freeze at the Motherboard Splash Start Up Screen. I tried to reset CMOS, I have tried to change the CMOS battery and I have tried tested to see if there is something wrong with my RAM sticks (3x2GB).

Link to computer speccs

Nothing have worked... so I am now thinking on replacing my motherboard for cheap.

Problem is that I can't find any motherboards for the 1366 socket in my country, so I need to switch to a newer socket type and thus replacing the processor also. I already have Sapphire Vapor-X 4890 2GB (from 2009), is this better than the newer integrated graphic chips like Intel HD 4600? This computer is only used by my father, so I would like a cheap but good motherboard + processor combo (Intel).

Any suggestions?

Edited by Rankiz

Not sure where you're buying, but you could do a motherboard and cpu upgrade fairly inexpensively.

An example;

Motherboard

Asus H81M-A

$65.00 USD

Only catch is that this is a mATX board so make sure that case is compatible

Processor

Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell

$70.00 USD

So for $135 USD you could swap out the motherboard and processor.

If possible, pursue IVI's idea about swapping out with another rig to test each existing component individually before committing to a purchase of new gear.  Your existing hardware (while a little old) is still a potent setup

Hey, the next part is very important................ before doing anything else.  Power down your PC.  Remove the Saitek Eclipse keyboard and use a standard PS/2 or a different USB keyboard.

Reboot and see if the problem has cleared up.

Agree with wevspot, I would try swapping out the keyboard and mouse to make sure it's not related to them, (I have seen a keyboard and/or mouse cause system boot/stability issues).

Hi. Even though the computer froze at the Startup Splash Screen, once in a while, I did manage to get past the Startup Screen. I managed to get into BIOS, where I updated my BIOS Firmware, and it fixed the problem! :)

Hi. Even though the computer froze at the Startup Splash Screen, once in a while, I did manage to get past the Startup Screen. I managed to get into BIOS, where I updated my BIOS Firmware, and it fixed the problem! :)

:thumbsup:

That's great!! Was there an update or you just reflashed the same bios revision??

:thumbsup:

That's great!! Was there an update or you just reflashed the same bios revision??

Updated BIOS to a newer version. The old was from 2009, the new was from late 2010 I think.