What gun to get?

Onion

Long story short, I got denied for on-campus housing because I was too far down on the waiting list and everything is taken. I'm going to be spending this coming year in a pretty bad neighborhood. I looked at crime mapping data, and there are tons of grand larceny cases, burglaries, vandalism, grand theft auto, assault, and all that good stuff. Being under 21, I can't legally carry in Florida, but I can still own a handgun and keep it in my apartment. Yes, I've tried to find a better and safer area, and no, I wasn't able to, so I'll just have to deal with that. However, I'm not about to just sit around and watch someone try to burglarize me. I'm looking for something cheap and effective, and also fun to take to the range. 

Before the flood of "not the right choice" comments, I will add that I'm not planning on gunning people down and dispensing justice. I'd rather be able to protect myself if that's what it comes down to. Hopefully it never does and the only time it gets fired is toward a target. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 9mm taurus pt709 slim fits in my front pocket pretty good and is accurate as I need. While I haven't had to defend myself with it yet I have shot about 500 rounds at targets and all are kill shots. If you want an even smaller gun grab a ruger LCP those are .380 and shot well also. If your looking at something larger get a .45 most of the factory made 1911's suck until you rebuild them your way but a good one like a wilson combat will run ya $3000 to 5000 bucks.

Thanks for the info, bishop. I took a look at the Ruger and the Taurus. The Taurus looks real nice, especially for the price, so I'm definitely going to go and take a look at that.

Also, would a revolver be unreasonable as a self defense weapon? They're a lot of fun to shoot, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. 

Why don't you just run an ad and find a room mate ? 2 people could afford a 2 bedroom apt. in a decent neighborhood. That's what my wife did in LA when she went to college. :no:

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Why don't you just run an ad and find a room mate ? 2 people could afford a 2 bedroom apt. in a decent neighbourd. That's what my wife did in LA when she went to college. :no:

My problem is proximity to school. I have to drive. I get around 11 mpg if I don't go flat out too often (which is so tempting with that beast of an exhaust). Even if I improve the gas mileage to something like 20, its still going to be expensive to drive, and its money I don't really have at the moment. I probably will have a roommate, depending on room availability at the apartment complex. 

I am actually researching getting my first hand gun and I have narrowed it down to the Walther PPQ M2 (short fast trigger, single action only) and the Sig P250 (smooth long trigger, double action only).

The Walther is more expensive but seems like the better gun all around.

The Sig is cheaper and modular so you can easily replace every part of the gun or change the size of the gun.

There are some nice reviews on youtube, but I'm no gun expert so just take this as a suggestion. 

academy has the pt709 for $300 and my local gun shop has the ruger lcp for around the same price for new but maybe 50 to 100 cheaper for a used one lol

about the best thing you could really do is go to a range that rents weapons and buy some ammo for each caliber you rent try a few out small frame mid frame large frame and same with revolver

One final thing before I go and try out some guns... Is used okay? I've heard that some people don't take care of their guns and that the money you save could very well be spent getting the gun back into good condition. True? Should I just buy new?

You can find some great used guns if you know what to look for. Most places will not sell used crap, at least that I have ever dealt with.

If you happen to know someone personally that knows a lot about firearms take them with you.

For a first gun I would suggest a 9mm, there is a lot to choose from, but handle them and see what feels right when you go to aim. Some places will let test fire, if possible see if you can go to a range and try out some different guns.

I am going to just say this because I think somebody should, for godsakes whatever you do don't buy a gun off the street just to save a buck. I figure you are smarter than that, but there is a lot of idiots out there that hang around gun shops just looking for a melon to walk in.

I have said my peace lol.

I've got a Beretta PX4 Storm and I love it. It's a .40 cal and you can't go wrong with that kind of firepower for a handgun. 9mm doesn't pack the punch as a .40 or .45 does, and a .45 is not as accurate as a 9mm. I figure .40 cal fits in between and it's also very powerful. Guns are becoming more scarce and ammunition is worse and much more expense than a year ago, at least where I'm from (CA). Doesn't matter what you get as long as it fits nice and can stop somebody or something. Good luck out there!

SInce you will be in an apartment you would want to stay with 9mm and use only self defense ammo in it. A 40 cal while effective as is the 9mm but with the 40cal you stand a greater chance of having a round go through into the next unit.

It all comes down to what you will eventually do with it. Concealed or just left at home for protection there. If carrying you have a wealth of options. I traded my wifes revolver in for a Beretta P9 Nano that she shoots much more accurately. I prefer a full frame just due to the size of my hands.

Also, would a revolver be unreasonable as a self defense weapon? They're a lot of fun to shoot, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. 

If it weren't for concealment issues, a revolver would be my first choice.  It is the most intuitive type for me, and they are close to 100% reliable.  When I'm not worried about concealment I carry one of my Ruger SA's, with the transfer bar safety I feel safe carrying with one under the hammer.  Needing to pull back the hammer to fire also adds to my comfort as I'm not worried about an accidental discharge.  And IMO SA revolvers are the coolest handguns on the planet.  :)