a new VGA or a new PS4 ?

AmigoSamro

7 members have voted

1. 1. a new VGA or a new PS4 ?

HI ALL,, how are you doing ?

I have been wondering which is better for games for the next 4-5 years; a new powerful VGA card or a new PS4? these are my PC specs

Processor: AMD X4 955 8MB cache
MB:ASUS 89GTD PRO
RAM: Kingstone 1333 6 GB
VGA:RADEON ATI 4850 512 MB HD
POWER: OCZ 600W
Samsung S22B300 21.5 inch full HD
CASE: NZXT LEXA S ATX CASE

so which is better: a new VGA card on this PC, or a new PS4 that runs on the same monitor I mentioned above ? ,, and is the difference very big or what ?

thanks a lot

Edited by AmigoSamro

Do you enjoy console games or PC games better?

It's actually a tough choice:

With the computer you'll have cheaper to buy games and have them look better overall (with arguably better controls)

With the console you'll have a relatively more streamlined experience but more expensive games with graphics that will be great to start but will eventually be left behind by the PC though they'll never be as bad as the PC would be if you don't keep relatively powerful graphics card in the PC..

• Like 1

If you're excited for the PS4 exclusives (Knack, Infamous: Second Son, The Order, Killzone: Shadow Fall, etc.), get the PS4. But otherwise, multi-platform titles are always going to be better on PC (plus the PC has quite a few exclusives on its own).

As such, I didn't vote.

You are not giving a lot of information...

Are you using your computer only for gaming purpose? Now think that streaming can also be done with the PS4.

In the long run, buying a console every 5 years or so is cheaper than upgrading a computer each year or two.

No driver mess, software is compatible from the start...

If you are more a "couch gamer" get a console.

If you upgrade your PC you will be able to get better graphics (higher texture details, better PhysX. You can use

Steam for your game market, FPS are somewhat really enjoyable with mouse/keyboard more than a gamepad.

Plugging whether a monitor or a HDTV doesn't matter, as the VGA will work with any of those.

MMOs are on PC, whether MMOFPS (Hawken, Planetside), MechWarrior Online as a Mech Game and
MMORPG (League of Legends) and others.

One thing tho, EA, Ubisoft and Activision DRMs are a pain tho...The new GTA5 is coming on consoles and
has yet TBC on PC, while some leaks make us hope for the best.

ok so far I am a little more convinced with getting a VGA card .. I have always been a PC gamer .. what really worries me is the SPECS of my PC that I mentioned in the post .. I am worried that if I upgraded VGA "and only VGA" that my PC still can't run the next 4-5 year games .. that's the whole point .. will MY PC "upgraded with only a new VGA" be as good as a console or it's just a waste of money ?? 

thanks in advance

Well your CPU is definitely on the low end of the spectrum, so it would probably depend on what games. Strategy games and large multiplayer games tend to be the most CPU intensive since they require lots of calculations.

I still feel as if PCs are cheaper since all the money saved from cheaper game purchases WELL makes up for the occasional need for a new graphics card.

But yeah, Stefen worded it nicely... are you a couch gamer or a chair gamer at heart??

Does your board support the newest AMD chips?? Maybe throw one of them in and a new graphics card and you'd be pretty well off IMHO

• Like 1

It depends on  the games you like.

Q: Do you like big 64+ player FPS games?

A: Go PC

Reason: While DICE says next-gen consoles can run BF4 with 64 players at 60 FPS, they didn't mention what resolution and what settings they had to tone down. So if you like everything pretty and shiny, then PC is the only choice.

Counter: I can live with lower graphics settings.

Q: Do you like MMO?

Reason: Its just a natural environment for it, similar to F2P. The developers can push out patches whenever they please.

Counter: Ubisoft's The Division and Bungie's Destiny are currently console only. :( However one might categorize them loosely as MMOs.

Do you like RPG?

A: Tie

Reason: Both seem to have good exclusives with several other titles already being multi-platform.

Do you like Racing/Fighting/Sports?

A: Go Consoles

Reason: Bigger player base if you ever wanted to play multi-player and even better for local co-op.

Counter: Solo play and you can use a controller on the PC.

Do you like F2P/Indie games?

Reason: The PC is just more open, even with Xbox Marketplace and PSN Store being self-publish friendly. Not all the details were released. Developers can push updates more frequently and freely (consoles are trying to become more like this).

Do you like RTS?

Reason: Natural environment for the PC. Many titles are exclusive to PC.

Do you like Strategy (Turn-Based)?

Reason: Natural environment for the PC. Many titles are exclusive to PC.

Edited by AZNguyen
  • Like 1

This was evident that the poll is biased anyway, being on a PC overclocking site :doh:

Take note I am just kidding.

I too do prefer PC, but I use that thing more than gaming and surfing. So by buying
PC games, I keep my machine fast for any apps. Also I am fond of Commander Keen.
I gamed more on PC than any console ever, while my PS2 gave me good times as well.

• Like 1

I still feel as if PCs are cheaper since all the money saved from cheaper game purchases WELL makes up for the occasional need for a new graphics card.

But yeah, Stefen worded it nicely... are you a couch gamer or a chair gamer at heart??

Does your board support the newest AMD chips?? Maybe throw one of them in and a new graphics card and you'd be pretty well off IMHO

well, I do like to play games at good resolution and details, not necessarily on max settings but decent experience of the game .. as far as I know; my board supports AM3+ CPUs by a bios update from ASUS website .. but not all am3+ chips are supported, only certain ones.. so I was thinking to get a FX-8150 eight core CPU, and a decent VGA as 7950 .. do you think this will be enough to run the upcoming games for the next years ?