Time for a new Rig - ~$1000 budget

Capo

Nor I would drop any money on a A-10 6800K knowing I will add a discrete graphics card.

Instead, to save money I would go with a FX 6300 or FX 8320 (the latter requires a better heatsink to overclock)

Those units are 6ALU/3FPU for the 6300 and 8ALU/4FPU for the 8320.

What this means is one is a 6 core and the other a 8 core with hampered floating point calculations.

In games, floating point does not matter much. The thing is that both of these units aren't much faster
in single threaded applications than a Phenom II X4 980.

In multithreaded tasks they perform really well though.

You could consider the Intel 3350P if you can find it for cheaper. It is a lower clocked / not overclockable
3570K. It would still be faster than a overclocked FX 6300 or a FX 8320 in some applications

You would need a Z77 motherboard such as MSI Z77A-G45.

an i5 outpreforms or nearly the same results as the FX 8350 and they cost the same. Intel: 1 AMD :0. I'm not huge fan of AMD but if the price is right than go for it. It's about that time of year when buying new tech isn't a great idea. Q3 the new will come out and prices will drop for the old stuff.

If you don't mind used stuff a ATI 6950 or 7870 are good cards for $150. I am able  to run eveything I want at 1080 with a 6950 as long as I do not crank up AA/AF too high.

Nor I would drop any money on a A-10 6800K knowing I will add a discrete graphics card.

I understand and do not disagree, the reason I like the APUs is because they are the only AMD chips with good support for SFF builds.

I can tell you I become more impressed with the APUs as I push them. I have an A10 6800K sitting right next to an i7 4770K and at 1080 gaming there is NO difference in the game play experience. I am playing Skyrim (with HD Mods), Neverwinter, Crysis 3, Dishonored, Civ V and a few others. Switching between the systems with frame rate counters turn off is amazing because the experience I identical.

an i5 outpreforms or nearly the same results as the FX 8350 and they cost the same. Intel: 1 AMD :0. I'm not huge fan of AMD but if the price is right than go for it. It's about that time of year when buying new tech isn't a great idea. Q3 the new will come out and prices will drop for the old stuff.

If you don't mind used stuff a ATI 6950 or 7870 are good cards for $150. I am able  to run eveything I want at 1080 with a 6950 as long as I do not crank up AA/AF too high.

Factory settings? Yeah. But I own an 8350 and it's all about the overclocking baby. Plus it has more cores, so for certain functions the 8350 would be superior.

If you are looking for a no hassle decent gaming rig, get the i5.

Overlocking is okay in my mind, you get more performance out of lower priced parts.

The thing is that a 8350 is not given at all, the "more cores" thing is still discussible.

What I deplore the most is that they could not increase IPC in four years. So they are going by the "let's clock it higher" route,

the 9590 monster as an example. I just hope that the CPU portion of AMD could do better, because their GPU is
doing just fine IMO. We've not seen the 9xxx series of their GPUs yet, but I expect a nice boost.

Also, overclocking a 8350 asks for one of the better coolers, whether an AIO or one of the pricier air coolers.

If you are already overclocking while it is brand new, you won't be able to clock it higher later, i.e. if now
you need to overclock, I can only imagine that in three years applications/games will ask for faster CPUs.
You would be left with no headroom.

Yep.

And do you live near any Microcenters?

No, I do not. I'm not aware of any decent hardware outlets in my area other than your typical Best Buy's and the like. I assume I'm likely stuck to online ordering unless a local retailer has a sale on a part or two.

• 4 weeks later...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1CWOc

This is the list I would recommend if you have other hard drives than go with ssd if not the Seagate. Now as for the I5 beating out an fx8350 even overclocked not on this planet all I going to say about that. But if you really want to know for sure check out the reviews and definitely not on multi threaded applications.