Overclocking my i7 950

Mxblue

that is a really high temp. I would drop everything to stock and reseat the heatsink. hopefully you still have thermal throdling on, otherwise you may have a dead cpu soon.

With watercooling I was getting 55c load using a i7 920 @ 4.2 and a headsink was around 70c. 80+ is high, though the thermal limit i think intel set is 100. I'm not sure anymore what intel spec says. it's been a while.

laughter fills me reading this.  I like how you just dead panned him with the cold turkey heatsink routine.

ex-c-ellen-t

why buy an i7 then..

I just meant to temporarily lower his temps until he straightens out the problem (unless his board has a save profile function, which I still think it'd be easier to just disable HT now and then re-enable it when he's done his troubleshooting)

Ahh, missunderstood, long day at work :)

No problem, I had a feeling someone would misinterpret it (since I was very direct with my recommendation without explaining my reasoning for doing so)

I was going to say...those temps were AMAZING!! Try to OC it again and then get back to us with the results

God, overclocking takes too long to stabilize, or I'm probably just doing it wrong (most probable :D ).

Anyway, at this point, I've managed to stabilize my overclock at 4.01Ghz with a multiplier of 23, 1.37v on vCore, 1.51v on DRAM, 1.24v on QPI. Max temps range from 80c-85c, which is a risk I'll take.

There comes a point where the amount of work (and literal power) going into the OC isn't worth it for the slight increases you'll achieve. So if it's a 24/7 OC you're looking for than I'd recommend stopping before the going gets tough, hot and power hungry

Hey guys

I currently have my i7 950 overclocked to 3.9Ghz with about a 0.09v increase in vcore and 1.31v on QPI, but I want to push it further.

I have a MSI x58 Pro-E, Noctura D14, Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 and 3x2GB Elixir 1600Mhz RAM.

Edit: Should mention that I'm hitting 97 degrees C on my current set up on max load. Idle is around 55 - 60.

Could I possibly hit 4.2Ghz?

For that OC (3.9), your temps are way to high (specially with Noctua NH-D14), something is wrong, I've remember wit my 960 OC to 4.2 also cooled with the same model of Noctua heatsink  in full stress (Prime 95), CPU never goes over 82C. 

How is yor thermal paste? does the heatsink sits good over the cpu?

Edited by Smiki007