sager 8690 gpu upgrade

Okay so I have a Sager 8690 that I bought for my wife for a hundred dollars

Its got an i7 740 with a GTX 280 graphics card

I want to replace the gpu but when i called sager they i had to buy the gpu from them

Is this true

Possibly, maybe take it apart and see if it's a removable graphics card, they might mean buying from them would give you an all new board with the graphics part of it. (If not removable)

I've never dealt with removable laptop graphics but I'm guessing you'd be held captive in the GTX200 era which you have the strongest gpu of that gen anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  Unless there is something unique about that model that i'm not aware of you can replace it with any MXM or w/e standard it is card that will fit.

edit:  Checked Notebook Review and I see people that have 5870s, 6970s, 7970s, etc installed with no problems and they were probably picked up off ebay/craigslist/etc.

Edited by Coors

Remove the GPU, and see the MXM (B) slot.

If it is standard PCI-E slot (which it should be) then buy a GPU of your choice from the market and install it there.

Edited by d6bmg

Or is this is the sales tactic to get me to spend money on their product because I can get a GTX 460m from: an Alienware laptop off of ebay for 60 bucks

You have got it. It's their dumb marketing tactic. General users don't know anything what's inside the laptop and they will buy the card from them in fear.

That's how the business goes on.