Datsun Z Thread

Onion

Good luck. That's an expensive and likely not a single weekend's worth of work. :cheers:

Thanks. Expensive, yes, but hey, peace of mind is a nice thing to have with a 40 year old engine. I've got 3 days, since I don't have classes on Fridays, so I might be able to get it done. Its a fairly easy engine to work on, too. The only annoying bit should be the oil pan gasket, which I'll be taking care of when I do the oil change next weekend, and the head gasket. And who knows, I may find some things that need replacing or do some upgrades while the engine's opened up. 

Edited by Onion

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Win! My car's already got a 280ZX 15/16 master cylinder swapped into it, so when I do the 4 piston caliper and bigger disc swap, I won't have to worry about rebuilding a master cylinder, let alone paying like $150 for a new one if I can't find one. Now I just need to spring $350 for the kit. 

All original. :lol:

J/k. :tongue:

This can go both ways. :P I can argue that it's got better parts (the 15/16 master cylinder reduces pedal throw on 4 piston calipers and makes other calipers actually useable, the 7/8 doesn't work at all with most big brake kits), or that I can easily swap in originals. :P 

Exhaust manifold and intake manifold gaskets are done, as well as the valve cover gasket. Saving the oil pan gasket for when I do the oil change next weekend, and saving the head gasket for when I swap out the cam and replace the lash pads.

Just remember that you definitely need to change them out. Pretty much a waste to pull it all apart and not change them.

Edit: doing the important seals too? Cam seals, crank seals, etc?

Just remember that you definitely need to change them out. Pretty much a waste to pull it all apart and not change them.

Edit: doing the important seals too? Cam seals, crank seals, etc?

Cam seals yes, crank seals, not so sure. I'm looking to buy an engine stand and hoist, so I may just rebuild an L28ET and do the 3.1 stroker kit and swap that in. I'd have a better engine for the price of parts and a spare to sell. What I love most is how cheap and available parts are for this motor.

Once it's titled that sounds fun.

I went to the tag agency again today, 2 hours of line, 25 people ahead of me. I ditched. I'll try again tomorrow. 

Sadly I have to be an low-carb and not a no-carb diet because my ninja is carbureted unfortunately and the next revision in 2007 was made F/I in Japan and Europe but stupid America STILL decided to run carburetors....morons (and it was a new carburetor design, not just reusing the old one!!)

My only way out would be to either move up in displacement or get the new Ninja 300 which is based on the 250 but F/I....though I'll drive this 250 into the ground until then. I'm not about spending more then $2000 on a vehicle that can only be used under certain weather conditions and spend more than any car I've ever bought (my current car I paid the most for....$2200 haha)

They make an FI kit for the 250 Ninjas...the 300 is sick though, and I would sell the 250 for a 300 in a heartbeat :P. They hold value awesome so you can get not much less then you paid for it assuming you havent thrashed it too much.