i7-3770k OC settings

Pteroduck

I finally decided to overclock my ivy bridge cpu

i was looking on the internet and look at some OC guides, i found it odd that they just said to raise the multiplier, slowly increase vcore, and decrase cpu pll

what kind of frustrated me is that they dont tell you what settings you turn on and off

on the fx-8150 system i have, there are lots of guides that tell you what to turn on and off

Can anyone help me out? im using the msi-z77a gd65 board

oh and i put the xmp profile to profile 1, that puts my ram at 1866 right?

Edited by Pteroduck

Not really, My 3770K ES takes 1.325 for 4.7. My first retail will do 4.8 with the same 1.325v and the last one is still in a box waiting for the rest of the parts for my daily driver replacement.

What board and memory are you using?

Newer 3770ks are not OCing as well as the older ones. Mine that I bought not too long ago also needs 1.3v for 4.5, and 1.38 to be stable IBT/Prime stable at 4.7. Stinks when I see old threads of guys hitting 4.8+ on less voltage!

It runs way hotter then a lot of them too, even after delidding, so I settled on 4.6ghz for a 24/7 OC.

Some guys are even worse, hitting walls at 4.5ghz and can't get 4.7 stable even with over 1.4v.

Newer 3770ks are not OCing as well as the older ones. Mine that I bought not too long ago also needs 1.3v for 4.5, and 1.38 to be stable IBT/Prime stable at 4.7. Stinks when I see old threads of guys hitting 4.8+ on less voltage!

It runs way hotter then a lot of them too, even after delidding, so I settled on 4.6ghz for a 24/7 OC.

Some guys are even worse, hitting walls at 4.5ghz and can't get 4.7 stable even with over 1.4v.

Overclocking potential changes from chip to chip. And it always happens when we can see overclocking potential of some batch is better than other batches.

Unless one can 'find' the golden chip, buyers should be happy with that they have got.

Oh man, i guess i got a bit lucky then, im getting 4.5ghz with 1.3v 24/7, its hot as hell under load as well, 79c with a full watercooling loop!

By the way, im using the msi-z77a gd65 board

i read on an old thread long ago that someone got 1.1v with 4.8ghz on another tech site, forgot which, thats how i was persuaded to buy this motherboard :P

Oh man, i guess i got a bit lucky then, im getting 4.5ghz with 1.3v 24/7, its hot as hell under load as well, 79c with a full watercooling loop!

By the way, im using the msi-z77a gd65 board

i read on an old thread long ago that someone got 1.1v with 4.8ghz on another tech site, forgot which, thats how i was persuaded to buy this motherboard :P

Yep, they run crazy hot :). 4.5ghz IB is crazy fast for 24/7 though , so I wouldn't feel bad. Remember they have a ~200mhz advantage over SB.