what is the fastest 7200 hard drive

cjloki

Ahem.. that's sad to hear. Curious though, were they the Samsung originals or the re-brands?

Originals.

Essentially all 7200 RPM drives of modern descent will be the same in terms of speeds though. A percent here or there isn't going to change much.

OP - do you need high sustained speeds or high IOPs? If it's just the first, and you have a good backup solution (or don't need one), two or three of any 1 TB 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0 will scream.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that Samsung drives are now produced by Seagate, so I don't know if I would assume that the F3 is as fast as it once was.

OMG ! ooh noo :O ...that :(

You sound like you have a serious boner for these Samsung F3 1TB drives... :rolleyes:

It's too bad we just had one of these die a couple weeks back. :P

heehee panda said "boner" HAAhaa :lol:

Originals.

Essentially all 7200 RPM drives of modern descent will be the same in terms of speeds though. A percent here or there isn't going to change much.

OP - do you need high sustained speeds or high IOPs? If it's just the first, and you have a good backup solution (or don't need one), two or three of any 1 TB 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0 will scream.

i just don't see why we enthusiast consumers can't have both, but i can see this segment of the market is not as big as the business server and cloud segment, so not as high of a money making priority...i haven't had great hd longevity with seagate, but now i know where they came up with momentus line..."Samsung",....now it all makes sense !

i just don't see why we enthusiast consumers can't have both, but i can see this segment of the market is not as big as the business server and cloud segment, so not as high of a money making priority...i haven't had great hd longevity with seagate, but now i know where they came up with momentus line..."Samsung",....now it all makes sense !

You can't have both because 7200 RPM drives can only spin at 7200 RPM. :lol:

If you want more IOPs you need a 10K RPM drive, a 15K RPM drive, or some sort of solid state disk.

You haven't really said what you're doing yet but if all you need is sustained read/write speeds a few HDDs in RAID 0 will do what you want. If you need IOPs and sustained read/write speeds you either need a large SSD setup or some form of SSD caching in front of a few drives in RAID 0.

maturity level --

waht i had hoped to do is replace the raided 500g cav blacks in my main office rig with a single modern drive of higher storage capacity, (so i can add more stuff) and higher iops/speed, make an image of the raid, then transfer the lot to the new drive,... i know ssd's are fast an all, but they lack the capacity i'm looking for all of my household and business files and tools, and the expense to get what i want would be more than i care to bear right now, so that pretty much leaves me with either a large cav black or a large velociraptor,....i am now researching drive platter density to find the best !

...i deserved that panda lol

If you're just storing things over the network that'll be your limitation. Just grab any large 7200 RPM drive and call it a day. Even the 5900 RPM drive I just used in a new build can sustain over 100 MB/s. :cheers:

If you're just storing things over the network that'll be your limitation. Just grab any large 7200 RPM drive and call it a day. Even the 5900 RPM drive I just used in a new build can sustain over 100 MB/s. :cheers:

yup waco that's pretty much it right there, (this machine is the net server) so imma find me a top o the line cav black with a long warranty n order up, n get this redoux started... :D

finally settled for this My link but will keep my eyes open for an enterprise black !

nothing ! ...i didn't see that one,....better warranty fo sho ! ...i've had a couple of the 750's that have been awesome, but i was getting sidetracked by the 64meg cache....my bad

kwik edit: i do like the specs of the wd black enterprise ver's but the prices are prohibitive and the refurbs warranty are too...