[FIXED] Computer sometimes trying to turn on, but doesn't.

Hey guys,

So, today I went to turn on my computer after a long blackout we had (common in my country). And it tried to turn on, the fans moved for less than a second, after that it didn't do anything.

I tried to disconnect the power cord and proceeded to press the power button several times trying to clean any current, connected it again, and it's still the same. Unplugged everything internally and plugged it back in, still the same behavior.

Before this has happened my computer did something rather weird, when I would turn it off for the day, the ON/OFF Led would still be on, idk if this has anything to do with the issue, but i'm just throwing it out there.

One thing, we have a power inverter in my house, so the computer did not turn off suddenly with the blackout, I turned it off normally with the help of the inverter. Finally, I don't smell anything burned in any way.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edited by NuComer

Sounds like a cold boot problem, fans start for about 2 seconds and then shuts off, 80% of the time this is a psu problem, If you have another psu to try see if it starts up .

Thank you for the answer. I was worrying about the same thing, right now i don't have another PU to try with. Is there any ways that this is a motherboard problem instead of a PSU issue?

Sounds like a cold boot problem, fans start for about 2 seconds and then shuts off, 80% of the time this is a psu problem, If you have another psu to try see if it starts up .

Im with Spike. PSU problems. If this is a MB problem it would probably just power on but you would get no beep or nothing on the screen at all.

Im with Spike. PSU problems. If this is a MB problem it would probably just power on but you would get no beep or nothing on the screen at all.

Thanks a lot,

Tomorrow ill go to a pc repair shop, to see if they can test it out for me, I'm almost possitive that the problem is the PSU as well.

So, right now i'm a little low on money.

What are your thoughts on this without taking the rebate into account?

Before this has happened my computer did something rather weird, when I would turn it off for the day, the ON/OFF Led would still be on, idk if this has anything to do with the issue, but i'm just throwing it out there.

newer versions of bios's added some features. One of them may be a new feature in bios 'Power Management'. Check to see if you have a 'JFP2 Power LED Function' (or something similar), & change it from 'Standby LED' to 'Power LED'.

Edited by sword_fish

Hey Nu,

Nothing wrong at all with the OCZ power supply you linked to. Especially considering the price after MIR. However, if money is really tight you could get by with a smaller unit. A good 500W unit could tide you over assuming you don't plan on making any huge upgrades in the very near future. Food for thought anyway. Of course the final price is higher, but the initial outlay is lower. And you know those pesky rebates might take 2-3 months before you ever see your refund (if ever).

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Hey Nu,

Nothing wrong at all with the OCZ power supply you linked to. Especially considering the price after MIR. However, if money is really tight you could get by with a smaller unit. A good 500W unit could tide you over assuming you don't plan on making any huge upgrades in the very near future. Food for thought anyway. Of course the final price is higher, but the initial outlay is lower. And you know those pesky rebates might take 2-3 months before you ever see your refund (if ever).

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Thank you for the suggestion Mr. Wev, but things have changed a little bit.

Today I went into the repair shop to test the motherboard and PSU and the technician showed me that the PSU had a short, he told me that if it was a blown cap or something along those lines he could repair it for me, but in this case there was nothing to be done and didn't even charged me, nice guy.

So, I went out the store with my tower in hand, ready to come home and order a psu online, then I realized how close we are to december in which time my business has it's peak every year, so I just bought a crappy 500W "Emerald" power supply for like 25 dollars just to work on my desktop until then.

Planning to buy a 650W Corsair, and if I can I'll finally be able to upgrade my damaged video card :).

Guess no gaming until December, but I can live with that.

As always thanks everyone for their support!.

Edited by NuComer

Sounds like a plan. Sorry about your bummer luck though.

What happened to your video card?

I'm actually not sure what's wrong with it but I'm guessing bad memory or something along the lines?, but I've been using it with a hefty underclock for the past 1.5 to 2 years from 750/900 to 660/775. Otherwise I would be playing normally until a white screen pops up locking everything and a 1 second sound loop forcing me to restart.

I had this thread before where I got some help to no avail.