gaming

video watching

office working

Parts to Upgrade:

Monitor: Benq XL2420T

CPU: Intel Core I5 3570k

Mainboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3

Keyboard: Corsair K90

VideoCard: 2*Asus Gtx 670 DCII/ Sapphire 7970 ghz vapor x (sli/cf)

Ram: Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz 4*4gb Cas 7 low profile

SSD: 2*Ocz Vertex 4 256Gb (Raid 0)

Storage: 2* Seagate Barracuda 14.1 7200Rpm 1Tb Sata 6gb (Raid 0)

Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos II

PSW: Corsair AX850 plus Gold

CPU Fan: Noctua Nh-d14

Gaming Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2/Roccat Kave 5.1

Overclocking: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Every 4,5 years i am usually upgrading my pc changing all the parts, this time i will keep my naga mouse, the steelseries mousepad and 2.1 logitech.

My main Goal is play at 100fps all games i didn't play til now (Mass effect 3,Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 etc etc) and all the future games for at least 3 years. If at a point i will have to sacrifice some graphic details to keep the game running smooth at 100hz i will do that

Main Reasons for this thread: need advice about compatibility and synergy among the parts i have chosen.

Thx in advance for your time

Christian

Edited by Nuvola84

Looks good though I must wonder why you'd want to game at 120Hz in the first place. You'll hardly see a difference IMO..

Nevertheless, 2x670 in SLI would definitely be enough, if not an overkill, for a single 1080P 120Hz monitor. May not run at 100FPS constantly in ultimate settings (especially when AA is enabled) but you should be able to play games smoothly.

Seeing that you do have enough money, if it were me, I'd go all out and cram an ASUS Maximus V Formula and a custom WC kit so as to be able to push the 3770K and 670s to their utmost limits.

:cheers:

A 120hz monitor doesn't display 120fps but will rather only display 60fps but will do so much more smoothly with the 120hz horizontal refresh rate. You'll find the vertical refresh will still be 60hz and as such you'll only be able to display 60fps trying to display more may result in teeing etc so running g with v-sync and tripple buffering would be my rec

A 120hz monitor doesn't display 120fps but will rather only display 60fps but will do so much more smoothly with the 120hz horizontal refresh rate. You'll find the vertical refresh will still be 60hz and as such you'll only be able to display 60fps trying to display more may result in teeing etc so running g with v-sync and tripple buffering would be my rec

The refresh rate governs the max FPS. 120 Hz monitors do display 120 FPS.

The refresh rate governs the max FPS. 120 Hz monitors do display 120 FPS.

I thought HDMI didn't support more than 60Hz at that resolution?

How much you gonna pay for the specs you have listed out OP?

Edited by DanTheGamer11

...Aren't they just about the same thing, but HDMI has dedicated audio pins? At least 1.3c

Almost. Dual link DVI has higher bandwidth. Displayport will also allow for 120 Hz native refresh rates as well.

It's not much more to a GTX 680, so at this pricing point I would spend the few extra bones.

As far as GTX 670 vs 7970 I would go with the GTX 670 all day. The ASUS DCII is a great video and probably the best 670 you can get, but it is also the biggest card making SLI a little more annoying. So if I was going SLI, I would go with a two Gigabyte GTX 670s for the slimmer profile.

Though I still would go with a 1 GTX 680 instead of SLI or CF. No need to introduce more noise, heat and driver concerns unless really needed. One GTX 680 would last me 4 years no problem. Two cards isn't a guarantee you will stay above 100 FPS for a few years. Though if you can afford it and want, I would go with this x2. ($40 off per card - $360 each)